VMware Cloud Community
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRealize Automation 7.3 Installation Fails

I am using the wizard to install vRealize Automation 7.3. When I run the installation the installation fails at 12% at "verify all services are running". I tried multiple things but no luck. Any advice on how to get past the "verify all service are running" portion of the installation? So I am using a distributed installation. 2 vRealize appliances (behind a NSX load balancer), 1 web IaaS Server (running website and model manager data service), 1 DEM server (running DEM Orchestrator Service and Manager Server Service) and 1 Agent Server (RunningAgent Service). I don't think it has to do with settings also because all servers are DNS resolvable and have network connectivity to one another. It fails at "verify all services are running" at the VA role (virtual appliance). I look at details and it says "Health Check Failed". I check the health and saw this error:

errors>

<error code="10114">

<message>Service Unavailable.</message>

<systemMessage>

The service shell-ui-app was not able to register the service information with the Component Registry service! This might cause other dependent services to fail. Error Message: Retriable operation failed after the maximum number of attempts - [200]. OperationDetails 'Registering [shell-ui-app] service into Component Registry'

</systemMessage>

</error>

</errors>

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And networking, and hostname, and other parameters which you'll find in the customization spec itself. If you read the documentation and create one, this is all explained there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
77 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to post your complete settings that you use to install using the wizard and also your architecture.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I am using a distributed installation. 2 vRealize appliances (behind a NSX load balancer), 1 web IaaS Server (running website and model manager data service), 1 DEM server (running DEM Orchestrator Service and Manager Server Service) and 1 Agent Server (RunningAgent Service).

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think it has to do with settings also because all servers are DNS resolvable and have network connectivity to one another. It fails at "verify all services are running" at the VA role (virtual appliance). I look at details and it says "Health Check Failed". I check the health and saw this error:

errors>

<error code="10114">

<message>Service Unavailable.</message>

<systemMessage>

The service shell-ui-app was not able to register the service information with the Component Registry service! This might cause other dependent services to fail. Error Message: Retriable operation failed after the maximum number of attempts - [200]. OperationDetails 'Registering [shell-ui-app] service into Component Registry'

</systemMessage>

</error>

</errors>

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This looks like a comm issue, but the cause could be many things. Without looking at your settings you used it's difficult to say.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What settings would you like me to send you? Should I take a screenshot of each installation step?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yep, screenshot each stage, please.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not home now but will start the installation again and send screenshots of each phase as I go along. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also, your architecture you chose is odd. Why use multiple front ends if you're using single IaaS components down below? Is this a production installation or a lab/test environment?

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is for a lab test environment. I chose to use a load balancer on the front end because during the installation it tells you to add the name of the load balancer in the "vRealize Automation Host" section.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't need to use a load balancer when it asks you that. If this is for a lab, just use a single appliance. Set the hostname to the FQDN of your front-end appliance. This will save some hassle and possible resolve your error.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I acutally started using the load balancer because initially I was doing the installation with no load balancer and I was getting the same error. I added the load balancer because I though the load balancer would help fix the issue because the health check was failing. So I thought the health check was taken care of by the load balancer. I did not realize that the health check was just a way to verify that all services are running on the vrealize appliance.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, health check will fall into place when everything is installed. In no way is a load balancer required, so you're actually complicating things. Use a single appliance with single Windows IaaS server and pour all the roles into one. Ensure you have forward and reverse DNS working, NTP is syncing things all around, and post screenshots of your installation wizard windows and let's see what you got there.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually need to do a distributed installation because I have to set it up at my job that way. So I need at least a vRealize Appliance, and 3 seperate windows IaaS servers to distribute the services. I had it setup as follows and still got the same "verify all services are running" error: 1 vRealize Appliance, Windows Server (running SQL, Web services, Model Manager Data Service), Windows server (Manger Server Service, DEM Orchestrator), Windows Server (Agent Service).

0 Kudos
darrengoff3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would check your service monitoring is disabled during the install and ensure only the primary appliance is set in the LB pools but as others have mentioned, not sure why you have this deployment model. I would use one from the reference architecture. Could you share your SSL certificate config file? I would double check these and the SANs you have used. You can use ther documentation here for reference:

vRealize Automation Medium Deployment Requirements

- DG If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I set monitoring to none in the server pool on my LB and only the primary vRA Appliance is listed on the load balancer in the server pool. The SSL certs I used were generated during the installation by hitting the generate certificate button. I didn't use certs from an internal CA.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post the inputs you used in the wizard when you can. Also check time synchronization like I mentioned on your target ESXi host(s) and the appliance + Windows. They should all be pointed at a common time source.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will restart the installation in a bit when I am home and will send you screen shots.

0 Kudos
MuayThai88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried doing a minimal installation where everything is installed on one windows server, everything validated throughout the initial configuration in the wizard. When I started the installation, it still failed at "verify all the services are running" in the VA role. I don't think it has to do with anything else other than some services not starting or even showing up in the vRealize Automation Appliance. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the last time, please post all of the settings and parameters you used when installing vRA. Until we can see that, everything is just speculation.

0 Kudos