VMware Cloud Community
HassanHamade
Contributor
Contributor

vRA XaaS Resource Action issue - can't select values for an external action input - options greyed out

Hi,
Trying to configure a Resource Action in vRA for a day 2 operation on an item (more specifically changing the storage policy of a VM disk). The Resource action maps to a vRO workflow.
This action has two inputs. When it comes to defining the values of one of those inputs called vCenterVM, the vcVM field in "Define Field Values" is greyed out....no way to select it. While the selection works fine for the other input (IAAServer).

------------------------
Here are the details:
- name of the Resource Action: "Hassan-Change Storage Policy for Storage Migration"
- this resource action applies to VMs. It maps to a vRO workflow called "Change Storage Policy for storage migration".
- this workflow has 5 input parameters:

storage policyName   // string
     option                        // string
     diskNum                   // number
     iaasHost                  // vCAC:VCACHost
     vcVM                      // VC:VirtualMachine

pastedImage_16.png

- The first three input parameters (policyName, option and diskNum) will be entered by the user in the XaaS form exposed to him. These will determine which VM disks will be migrated and where (to which storage policy they should be migrated based on policy name).

- To select the policyName, we will add a drop-down that will map to a vRO action that retrieves the storage policies names from the vCenter SPBM API.

This vRO action requires two inputs to run: vCenterVM and IAASServer. Those should be mapped to the last two workflow inputs (iaasHost and vcVM).

pastedImage_26.png

And here's my problem:

when I select IAAServer, I am able to select IaaS Server in the Define Field Values. See below:

pastedImage_27.png

However, when I select vCenterVM, I am not able to select the vcVM field. It is greyed out. Please see below:

pastedImage_28.png

Can anyone please advise why the field vcVM above is greyed out when trying to set a value for vCenterVM. Both parameters are of type VC:VirtualMachine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Sadly, this SPBM plug-in is not compatible with 7.3. I've seen a blog out there where a user modifies something in order to get the provision action to accept the storage policy, but not solving this problem (which I can also confirm in my 7.3 environment). There's also a thread from June which discusses it as well.

0 Kudos
HassanHamade
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @daphnissov

I am aware of those blogs, thanks. I got passed the main step that prevented the plugin from working with vRA 7.3 (the failed login). I am now really more into the configuration of the plugin itself with vRA 7.3.

I've made some progress - will post my findings when I'm done testing (if successfull).

0 Kudos
DanieleUlrich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Hassan

Yesterday I faced the same issue and did some investigation:  I assume that it is not possible to use complex objects in certain situations. Only primitive datatypes are supported. 

I helped myself by sending the vm.id (moref) as string. All you have to do in  the action is then to fetch the machine by its id.

Best

0 Kudos