VMware Cloud Community
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.6.2 - Data on deleted machine resources

In vRA 7.6 I use the SQL database virtualmachinehistory table to be able to report on all machines that were 'alive' in a given month and their last reported size. This data is also used to compare with CMDB to ensure the CI status is correct, etc. 

In 8.6.2 not seeing any way to get historical information. In 7.6 even from the web portal you could use Audit Log to see the history of any machine by name. 

Is the history stored anywhere in 8.6.2? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexNTTA
Contributor
Contributor

If you go to Infrastructure -> Activity -> Requests, you can see it.

0 Kudos
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you! I have been using some HOL labs to figure things out while my 8.6.2 lab is hooked up fully to the everything. The one I was on had 8.4 I see now and it wasn't clear which machines by name were in the activity. Tried another lab that has 8.5.1 and yep easily can search by name and will check out pulling the data. 

I may be the one person who will dearly miss the SQL DB. 🙂

0 Kudos
AlexNTTA
Contributor
Contributor

You are not the only person who misses it! vRA 8 is missing a lot of things vRA 7 had.

0 Kudos
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now that there are some test deployments in our DEV environment I can look up the activity in Infrastructure > Requests.

Having trouble however finding were to pull this data from REST. With 7.6 we have the VirtualMachineHistory table so for reporting can easily pull for any timespan (my case start of the month showing the month prior) which servers were managed by vRA along with size information, properties etc. 

Where is the history located now?

Request-tracker didn't seem to have the details in the UI but as they are in the UI they must be somewhere. 

0 Kudos