VMware Cloud Community
Enter123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.10.2 and VMs with multiple networks -Network profiles

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what would be the best approach to deal with the following:

- VMware VCF infra - every cluster created with VCF gets dedicated vDS and vCenter port groups need to be created in each of them resulting in having for example: PG-192.168.1.x-Cluster1, PG-192.168.1.x-Cluster2, PG-192.168.1.x-Cluster3 etc.

- VM CloudTemplate can be deployed in any of the clusters. Management network is NSX-T, no problem there. Simple tag in CloudTemplate gets the job done.

- a CloudZone contains 2 or clusters

I have an issue here and haven't found a solution how to handle it. Hope someone has some tips.

- a VM can have 3 network interfaces, mgmt, backup and NFS. mgmt is NSX-T, backup and nfs interfaces are not NSX-T but vCenter networks. 

How to make vRA to choose correct ports groups for backup and NFS after choosing compute resource?

CloudZone contains 2 or more clusters and placement policy is for example "SPREAD". 

I have tried using the same capability tags, hoping that vRA would know somehow which vDS and which port groups to choose after selecting compute resource but it doesn't seem to be working that way.

I get errors like this:

Provisioning operation failed. Error from vCenter: A specified parameter was not correct: spec.deviceChange.device.port.switchUuid

or 

Original Task Error: 'Allocation filter error: Unable to find a common placement for compute 'Linux' and its associated network resources on region 

I have created 1 network profile to which I have added all 3 needed networks and referenced them in the CloudTemplate with tags. 

Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
type: Cloud.vSphere.Network
properties:
networkType: existing
name: ${input.NetworkProfileName}
constraints:
- tag: NP-192.168.1.x
- tag: mgmt-192.168.1.x
Cloud_vSphere_Network_2:
properties:
constraints:
- tag: nfs-192.168.2.x

Cloud_vSphere_Network_3:
properties:
constraints:
- tag: backup-192.168.3.x

Maybe my logic is wrong, it needs to be done in some other way.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

You said one of your networks is NSX based. In this case your resource in the template should be Clound.NSX.Network, not Cloud.vSphere.Network. Could also be that the capability tag is applied on the wrong object.

Also, the provisioning diagram should help solving the problem, it shows exactly where vRA wants to provision the VM, based on you tagging strategy.

Enter123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like I need to have 1 network profile which includes 1x NSX-T network and all other backup and NFS vCenter networks from all clusters but for all those vCenter networks I need to use the same tag. And it looks like vRA is capable to figure out which network to take depending on selected compute cluster. At least for now I haven't seen any problems.

0 Kudos