VMware Cloud Community
sprouse94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.1 - Docker Application Engine Won't Start

I am running the vRA 8.1 appliance, after a reboot the appliance seems to not want to start back up.  In the console window I am stuck with the following messages that continue to repeat:

[OK] Started Generate environment snapshot

[OK] Reached target Environment snapshot target

[OK] Stopped target Environment snapshot target

Then this pops up:

[****] A start job is running for Docker Application Container Engine (1h 5min 21s / no limit)

This process just runs and of course the time goes up each time the start job is running message shows up.  I can putty into the appliance and when I try to run any troubleshooting commands such as: kubectl get pods, I get the following error message:

The connection to the server vra-k8s.local:6443 was refused - did you specify the right host or port?

Can someone point me in the right direction on what I need to do to kick start the docker engine?

9 Replies
MostafaElSayedF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Before snapshot did you delete the services and create the offline db backup as below.

[

First You need to clean all the services. from the VRA appliance connect SSH.

after login enter  "/opt/scripts/deploy.sh --onlyClean"

This will clear all the services one by one and will create offline DB backup file. the data will not be lost but the services will not be available.

Second take snapshot from the VRA appliance.

Third After the snapshot finished you can take the backup by your backup system.After finish the backup you need to restore the service again.

Fourth and finally you can redeploy the services using the same script deploy.sh

"/opt/scripts/deploy.sh"

This step take some time. After this step finished you can check all the service up  and running using the below

"kubecli get pods -n prelude"

]

Also Can you share the logs {/var/logs/deploy.log & boot.log }

I hope this answer your question and i hope that this become answer or helpful comment for you. also, for More details and more information just follow my blog https://www.syncgates.com Mostafa Fahmy
sprouse94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well this process went on in that loop for a little more than two hours and then everything started up and I was back in. 

MostafaElSayedF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

normally this take time from 45min to 1h. but for you it seems it took more time.

good to hear that. 

I hope this answer your question and i hope that this become answer or helpful comment for you. also, for More details and more information just follow my blog https://www.syncgates.com Mostafa Fahmy
0 Kudos
viggo42
Contributor
Contributor

Did you just let the reboot complete and the process took that long or after MostafaElSayedFahmy  steps ?

0 Kudos
sprouse94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just let the reboot do its thing.  After about an hour, I started to digest the instructions and think about the implementation.  About the 2 hour mark the login screen finally popped up and the web page was operational. 

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

that is a recognized issue with vRA 8.0 / 8.1

to resolve it, you can either:

- follow this KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79425

or

- upgrade to vRA 8.1 Patch #1

in any case you will have to wait out at least once Smiley Sad

it can take a couple of hours, but it WILL finish, just wait. Once it's done, you can snapshot the system and install the patch or kb

0 Kudos
Ludicrous09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will it really finish?  Mine has been running for over 21 hours......

0 Kudos
mp3istk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same issue right now, how did you resolve this issue(if it has been resolved)?

Thanks,

Daniel M.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
dave6722
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I also have the same issue right now, how did you resolve and review this issue ?

0 Kudos