VMware Cloud Community
CloudInfraTeam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7.0.1 Reservations - Working with Datastore Clusters

Hello,

I've been trying to create a reservation with a datastore cluster which holds 2 datastores, and each datastore has a different Storage Reservation Policy.

the use case is:  A user requests a certain Virtual Machine from the Catalog. the first disk (the OS Disk) is to be given Storage Policy A, while the rest of the disks he creates in the request needs to be given Storage Policy B.

my problem is as follows:

in the Reservation, i make a reservation to the datastore cluster (which holds the 2 datastores). When i give the Datastores (in the Compute Resource) the Storage Reservation Policy, and apply the disks the appropriate Storage Reservation Policy in the Request, it gives me the following error when deploying: "cannot allocate storage request with storage reservation policies A,B on reservation". when i change the reservation from the datastore cluster to the 2 datastores explicitly, the above works.

I've tried doing the above without storage reservations, to see if it's a problem with the storage policies or the datastore cluster, and i got this error when requesting a VM in a Business Group with a datastore cluster reservation: "CloneVM: cannot find the datastore Named DatastoreCluster1..". altough the datastore cluster does exists with the same name on vSphere, and is reserved on the reservation. I've also tried making a fresh Datastore cluster, performing a data collection, and repeating the above, but same errors.

seem to me like vRA treats datastore clusters as they were regular datastores during vm provisioning and it messes things up.. is there something im missing? should there be a property somewhere that states I'm deploying on datastore cluster and not a regular cluster?

Thanks alot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The use of a datastore cluster implies that you are letting vCenter handle the initial placement decision below it.

By introducing Storage Reservation Policies, you are not allowing the placement to the Datastore Cluster, but forcing it to the individual datastores beneath it.

What you need to do is configure your reservation with the two Datastores enabled, not the Datastore Cluster.

Grant http://grantorchard.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The use of a datastore cluster implies that you are letting vCenter handle the initial placement decision below it.

By introducing Storage Reservation Policies, you are not allowing the placement to the Datastore Cluster, but forcing it to the individual datastores beneath it.

What you need to do is configure your reservation with the two Datastores enabled, not the Datastore Cluster.

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos