VMware Cloud Community
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 6.2.2 - Templates Disappearing; causing issues with blueprints

We've seen this happen a couple of times and are a bit stumped. Any ideas?

1. We set up a vSphere blueprint as a CloneWorkflow and point it at the template that we want it to clone from.
  2. The disk on that template appears and we assign it the appropriate storage reservation policy.
  3. Days/weeks go by and everything is happy.
  4. One day we notice that the OS disk that was on the template is landing on datastores outside of what the storage reservation policy is configured for.
  5. Investigation reveals that the storage reservation policy is cleared. Also the Clone from field is blank and the template cannot be located.
  6. I've used the following KB article to resolve the issue in the past: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20872...

Note that even though the clone from field is blank on the blueprint, it still finds the correct template on the vCenters and clones. I'm assuming that's because it is done via ID/Name and the agents still have no issue with locating the templates using this method. The only issue is that the storage reservation policy is cleared when this occurs, so it starts placing the disk that is on the template onto any datastore it likes. No good.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any ideas why the templates are "disappearing" until they are converted from template to VM and then back again? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Yeah... we also have this exact issue.

In the past, I reloaded them via vRO workflow.  The best I have come up with are post workarounds.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. I would be curious to see how you did this vRO workflow. I'm thinking it may be something we implement and have happen nightly if it's easy enough.

Also, are you seeing this issue specifically on vRA 6.2.2? I'm hoping it is resolved in 7.x so am curious. I've been unable to find a kb article or anything official on this.

Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos