Hi All ,
Please give me some insights for below scenario.
VM is provisioned using vCAC and users needs to reconfigure the VM as he met some storage crunch . user reconfigure the the vm with additional HDD and it will visible to the OS automatically.
my question is how we can automate the partitioning / extending the storage instead user is doing this manually by accessing the computer management - > disk management.
Does we can do using the custom properties or calling the VRM agent inside the guest os with some poweshell scripts , my all other requirements are meeting without the vCO and advance service designer except this . Looking forward to get a solution without vCO and Advance service designer.
(NOTE: I don't use the guest agent at all doing provisioning.. I only use vCO / vRO for all activities, so take what I say with a grain of salt, since the guagent isn't my area of expertise)
I don't think there's a way to do this without using a (very) custom Day 2 operation.... through vCO. There's a few things working against you:
1) The built-in IaaS reconfiguration task doesn't support formatting automatically / natively. This is, in part (again, to the best of my recollection) because the guest agent is not kept on the server beyond when the initial provisioning action takes place. I can't imagine what sort of load having an agent like that running, at scale, constantly checking in for new things to do, would do to the provisioning infrastructure.
2) Taking #1 at face value as being correct, the only way (that I know of) to add Day 2 operations is through Orchestrator. But this gets a little odd because now you need to delve into the guest operations API, which requires an administrative credential... which means that you either need to have the requester pass that particular value through (which means ASD) or you need to have a consistent / known credential that can be used for a fixed Day 2 operation. And, actually, since the Day 2 reconfiguration action for disks does not include the ability to pass in the custom properties for the disk, you'd need to use ASD for that, as well.
That's the long and short of it.. I've pondered how to deal with this for quite some time, but the reality is.... there just isn't always a (simple) way to automate everything for every scenario like that, unfortunately.
Thanks stvkpln for your note.
let me ask and point some thing here ,
1) Does custom properties are only meant for initial provision of the virtual machine ? , please let me know if you have any reference of custom properties which do the life cycle management.
2) Does is there any customization can do in WF Stub in vCAC designer which do the reconfiguration of the VM. .
1) Yes, only during initial. If you do a get of all of the custom properties of a VM, you'll be able to see clearly what the properties are that you'd need to set -- in theory.
2) Not that I'm aware of.