VMware Cloud Community
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCAC Guest Agents

Guys,

Have any of you successfully installed the vCAC 5.2 guest agent in Windows Server 2008 R2. I've followed the installation guide and enabled the property (VirtualMachine.Admin.UseGuestAgent = true) in my Server 2008 blueprint. Next when i try to deploy a system form this blueprint it fails. If i disable the property deployment works!? Any help or advise is appreciated.

.. Also do you know if its possible to use vCAC 5.1 agents with vCAC 5.2?

Regards

Mr G

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just rebuilt my lab yesterday so I have this info fresh - Yes, I've gotten the 5.2 guest agent to work on 2008 R2 and 2012 templates. Installed with the "WinService.exe -i -h myvacserver.domain.local -p ssl", I'm using self-signed certificates, so I imported the certificate from my management server into the trusted certificate authority on the template to prevent any errors with untrusted certs.

I have read that the 5.1 guest agent works with 5.2, but it doesn't work for 2012. Check out vCloud Automation Center – vCAC 5.2 – Installing the 5.2 Guest Agent on Windows ..., he has some notes on an error in the guest agent. The guest agent, as deployed in the zip file, works for me. I'm able to execute a script with VirtualMachine.Software0.Name and VirtualMachine.Software0.ScriptPath successfully.

To do a clean install of the agent (I did this for my templates due to  change in the vCAC server in my rebuild).

1. Power up the template
  2. Stop the vCAC Guest Agent service
  3. Reboot the template (required to unlock some files)
  4. Delete the VRMGuestAgent folder, extract the original source back to this location
  5. Reinstall agent "WinService.exe -i -h myvacserver.domain.local -p ssl"
  6. Import the certificate from my manager service, shouldn't be required if the template is trusted by the template.
  7. Shut down and convert back into a template.

If the VM sticks in the CustomizeOS status, take a look at the machine that is deployed and look for the log file to see what error is indicated.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just rebuilt my lab yesterday so I have this info fresh - Yes, I've gotten the 5.2 guest agent to work on 2008 R2 and 2012 templates. Installed with the "WinService.exe -i -h myvacserver.domain.local -p ssl", I'm using self-signed certificates, so I imported the certificate from my management server into the trusted certificate authority on the template to prevent any errors with untrusted certs.

I have read that the 5.1 guest agent works with 5.2, but it doesn't work for 2012. Check out vCloud Automation Center – vCAC 5.2 – Installing the 5.2 Guest Agent on Windows ..., he has some notes on an error in the guest agent. The guest agent, as deployed in the zip file, works for me. I'm able to execute a script with VirtualMachine.Software0.Name and VirtualMachine.Software0.ScriptPath successfully.

To do a clean install of the agent (I did this for my templates due to  change in the vCAC server in my rebuild).

1. Power up the template
  2. Stop the vCAC Guest Agent service
  3. Reboot the template (required to unlock some files)
  4. Delete the VRMGuestAgent folder, extract the original source back to this location
  5. Reinstall agent "WinService.exe -i -h myvacserver.domain.local -p ssl"
  6. Import the certificate from my manager service, shouldn't be required if the template is trusted by the template.
  7. Shut down and convert back into a template.

If the VM sticks in the CustomizeOS status, take a look at the machine that is deployed and look for the log file to see what error is indicated.