VMware Cloud Community
SteveR123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCAC Custom property for MultiMachine Blueprint?

Hi, I have a multi machine blueprint that's working well. It creates machines on different sites and then passes custom properties to vCO to carry out some customisations via PowerShell scripts.

I can't seem to find the inbuilt property (I'm sure there is one) to name the MultiMachine service itself though. I have a machine prefix there at present which works fine, and I'm sure I can combine one of the custom properties to this service name??

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveR123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It turns out "hostname" is a valid property for the service name in a multi-machine blueprint. The tricky part is that this property needs to be different on the individual component machines so it took a little more config.

I installed the vCAC Custom Hostnaming Extension from Dailyhypervisor.com. It provides property sets to create the relevant build profiles. I created a build profile using the "Custom.Common.ComponentMachine.HostnameString" for the component virtual machines of the multi-machine service. I also created a build profile using the "Custom.Common.AppService.HostnameString" for the multi-machine service itself. (you must have "Custom.Common.SetCustomHostname.Execute" also on both). You can modify the config of these properties to what you need at any level/input. In my case I have a custom property call "appName" which I require as part of the naming convention so I changed the customhostname property to {appName}{##} for the service. This will name the service based on the user prompted "appName" and also add a 2-digit incremented number to keep the service names unique. I did similar for the component machines to keep them unique. In my case a number of my properties are then passed to vRO and then PowerShell in order for me to invoke external scripts for further customisations, sounds complex and it took a while but it works well!

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SteveR123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It turns out "hostname" is a valid property for the service name in a multi-machine blueprint. The tricky part is that this property needs to be different on the individual component machines so it took a little more config.

I installed the vCAC Custom Hostnaming Extension from Dailyhypervisor.com. It provides property sets to create the relevant build profiles. I created a build profile using the "Custom.Common.ComponentMachine.HostnameString" for the component virtual machines of the multi-machine service. I also created a build profile using the "Custom.Common.AppService.HostnameString" for the multi-machine service itself. (you must have "Custom.Common.SetCustomHostname.Execute" also on both). You can modify the config of these properties to what you need at any level/input. In my case I have a custom property call "appName" which I require as part of the naming convention so I changed the customhostname property to {appName}{##} for the service. This will name the service based on the user prompted "appName" and also add a 2-digit incremented number to keep the service names unique. I did similar for the component machines to keep them unique. In my case a number of my properties are then passed to vRO and then PowerShell in order for me to invoke external scripts for further customisations, sounds complex and it took a while but it works well!

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos