VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vCAC 6.0 force Location selection

I found this blog post http://www.virtualjad.com/2013/05/vcac-property-dictionary-customize.html and I thought it had answered my question but I instead get a duplicate field on the request page.  Is there an extra step I might have missed?  I want to force the user to make a selection of location on some blueprints.  Obviously having the two fields will be confusing.  If I can't force the selection of location can it be hidden?  I unchecked the "display location on request" option in the blueprint but the field still shows.  I suspect the "required" option being selected on the custom property is over riding it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
burtond
Contributor
Contributor

I know this post is a bit old, but I am seeing the same issue.  Once a location is selected on any Compute Resource then the Location dropdown shows up on ALL blueprints with or without the "Display location on request" checkbox.  I am on vCAC 6.01 1720522.

VirtualJad's guide is very helpful, but we need a single dropdown for the DataCenter location.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

What should the location correlate to?

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
nsldg
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into this same thing. We are using vCenter location and clusters for this dropdown. That way we can have a single blueprint that can be deployed to different clusters. I keep getting users that leave it blank and obviously it doesn't know where to go so it fails. Need to figure out how to make it mandatory. Anyone find a solution?

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you considered using virtual reservation policies (VRM.DataCenter.Policy) instead of the location field (Vrm.DataCenter.Location)?

I have implemented this in customer environments where the virtual reservation policy - which is set at the reservation level becomes the datacenter location field using relational menus making both storage and network child properties.

pastedImage_0.png

Using both network profiles and storage reservation policies (pointing to the datastore cluster) and providing a more user friendly name using property dictionary

0 Kudos
burtond
Contributor
Contributor

I found my solution.  Although I was also using the VRM.DataCenter.Location parameter because I needed it to be a required field, I couldn't figure out why the "Location" field would never go away.  It turns out that it is permission related.  If you are a Business Group Manager than "Location" option is always present when making a request from the catalog.  For all other users is only shows up when the option "" is selected on the blueprint.  I choose to not display the location but rather create the dropdown field as wanted the field to be mandatory for my use case.

0 Kudos