VMware Cloud Community
lapaglia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upgrade vrealize automation 7.1 to 7.3 Update failed (code 0-2)

Hi All,

i recently updated my vrealize automation test environment from 7.1 version to 7.3  without problems

When updating my production environment i obtain the following error

"Update failed (code 0-2)"

In updatecli.log i see this detali message:

"Script /etc/bootstrap/postupdate.d/20-vcac failed, error status 2"

Investigating more the problem seems to be in "forms_valuedefinition" table when executing this query:

update forms_valuedefinition set scope_level= 'system', scope_levelfilter ='system' where  key like 'PropertyDefinition-null-%'

that fails (correctly) with a key constraint error (see table example below)

key                                                       | scope_level | scope_levelfilter

------------------------------------------------------+-------------+-------------------

PropertyDefinition-null-VirtualMachine.Network0.Name | tenant      | tenant1

PropertyDefinition-null-backup                                        | tenant      | tenant1

PropertyDefinition-null-backup                                        | tenant      | tenant2

PropertyDefinition-null-VirtualMachine.Network0.Name | tenant      | tenant2

In test environment i have just one tenant, in production I have more then 10 tenant

Any idea?

Thank you very much

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lapaglia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

we deleted all rows from forms_valuedefinition table except one row for any key like that

key                                                       | scope_level | scope_levelfilter

------------------------------------------------------+-------------+-------------------

PropertyDefinition-null-backup                                        | tenant      | tenant2

The upgrade procedure work fine.

The problem was in production environment which is a multi tenant environment

Hope is usefull

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend opening a SR on this one as troubleshooting failed upgrades can be a tricky and complicated business.

0 Kudos
DanieleUlrich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to the 7.3 table definition, this should not lead to errors:

CREATE TABLE "forms_valuedefinition" ("dtype" CHARACTER VARYING(31) NOT NULL, "id" UUID NOT NULL, "key" CHARACTER VARYING(1023) NOT NULL, "description"

CHARACTER VARYING(2000), "datatype" TEXT, "name" CHARACTER VARYING(255) NOT NULL, "scriptactionfqn" CHARACTER VARYING(255), "multi" BOOLEAN,

"deleted" BOOLEAN, "scope_level" CHARACTER VARYING(255), "scope_levelfilter" CHARACTER VARYING(255),

PRIMARY KEY ("id"), UNIQUE ("key", "scope_level", "scope_levelfilter"));

Maybe the UNIQUE constraint was missing in 7.1 and not applied successfully before inserting tenanted data?

You can try to manually update the table constraints.

Another reason could be that "system" is not a valid scope_levelfiter/scope.

Do you have a tenant called "system"?

Wait....

update forms_valuedefinition set scope_level= 'system', scope_levelfilter ='system' where  key like 'PropertyDefinition-null-%'

OK, this will never work with tenanted data. I think there is a problem with your data:

A tenanted property definition looks like this in my database:

PropertyDefinition-orc2-VirtualMachine.Network0.Name

where orc2 is the name of a tenant.

So if your scope_levelfilter is "tenant1"

your property should be

PropertyDefinition-tenant1-VirtualMachine.Network0.Name

instead of

PropertyDefinition-null-VirtualMachine.Network0.Name

I assume "null" is the definition for system wide properties.

0 Kudos
lapaglia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

we deleted all rows from forms_valuedefinition table except one row for any key like that

The upgrade procedure work fine.

The problem was in production environment which is a multi tenant environment

Hope is usefull

Thanks

0 Kudos