VMware Cloud Community
picnic1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

strategy for choosing between two clusters

Hi, 
I was wondering, when two clusters matche with our tags when allocating, what is the strategy used for choosing a cluster more than another ? Is it the amount of free storage, RAM, CPU, other ? 

On the picture , imagine my tags would have matched 2 clusters.

picnic1_0-1646919173652.png

Thanks !

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When multiple compute options comply with the designated constraints, vRA will use the Placement Policies configured in Cloud Assembly - at the Project level (Administration > Projects > [Project_Name] > Provisioning >Placement Policy) to select the Zone, and at the Zone level (Configure >Cloud Zones > [Cloud_Zone_Name] > Summary >Placement Policy) to select the compute. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When multiple compute options comply with the designated constraints, vRA will use the Placement Policies configured in Cloud Assembly - at the Project level (Administration > Projects > [Project_Name] > Provisioning >Placement Policy) to select the Zone, and at the Zone level (Configure >Cloud Zones > [Cloud_Zone_Name] > Summary >Placement Policy) to select the compute. 

picnic1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks !
I have only 2 choices and I saw on internet there was 4 (DEFAULT, BINPACK, SPREAD and ADVANCED), is it normal ?

picnic1_0-1647005884141.png

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are only two placement strategies available at the Project level, where you're defining the logic used for selecting amongst available Cloud Zones. So I think what you're seeing is correct:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.6/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-91ED93ED-8...

There are three placement policies you can apply at the Cloud Zone level:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.6/Using-and-Managing-Cloud-Assembly/GUID-9E6FE02D-2... 

I want to say I remember reading about the Advanced policy option once upon a time but I don't recall seeing it in any of my vRA environments.