VMware Cloud Community
atuli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to assign a static (external) IP to a VM when provisionng through vCAC

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to assign a static IP to a vCAC request through vCO before the cloning starts. Without a static IP assigned, the cloning finishes fine and gets a random IP .. but I want the VM to use a specific IP.

I am using the extensibility pack (not Dynamic Ops Designer).

Is there a way to do that? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you planning on using Network Profiles for a pool of static IP addresses? If not, are you going to provide the IP address at request time? To do the static IP address assignment, put in the custom property "VirtualMachine.Network0.Address" and associated custom properties (see page 251 of the Operating Guide) and if you have a Guest Customization specified in your blueprint, it will use this information to provide the IP address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you planning on using Network Profiles for a pool of static IP addresses? If not, are you going to provide the IP address at request time? To do the static IP address assignment, put in the custom property "VirtualMachine.Network0.Address" and associated custom properties (see page 251 of the Operating Guide) and if you have a Guest Customization specified in your blueprint, it will use this information to provide the IP address.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you're using the workflow stubs you would fire the vCO workflow in the BuildingMachine stub so you can assign the property as ShibbyB described so this would get picked up by provisioning agent.  I think there's samples of this in the extensibility guides and training.  If vCO is the tool of choice you would probably look to the vCAC plugin to set the property via OData/REST API.