VMware Cloud Community
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

custom property to input "AD Domain" for Windows Bluperints from self service portal

Hi,

I need to add windows machine to domain, were self service portal "Additional settings" should as ask for domain input.

I have tried adding it through "custom specs" it is successfully, but now I am having multiple domains and I want to input them manually. by blueprint is using clone to deploy machine and custom specs to assign IP and host name.

Please let me know if any one has solution.

7 Replies
SkyCoop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can try creating a Property Dictionary for the custom property CloneSpec, and have a drop down list that contains the name of the Guest Customization Specs that joins each specific domain. Take a look at vCloud Automation Center – vCAC 5.1 – Custom Property of the Day #5 – ... for some more information on this custom property.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know the only out of the box way to join a domain for clone is to use the the custom specification.  There are options to use the guest agent and run a script on the guest, but this would be overkill.  Third option would be to roll your own workflow using the designer, but this would require psremoting or wmi.

I haven't tried this myself but you could try adding a property for the value which is "__clonespec" and set user prompt on the blueprint and then use the property dictionary to customize this list to show a drop down and make your custom spec available for user to select from.  I can't say it'll work for sure because the dictionary is not designed to override the native blueprint properties like this.

rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, how about selecting different VC? my endpoints are VC's I dont have Vcloud in my environment.

0 Kudos
SkyCoop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can tag resources with locations, check the operating guide but I think the file is located in c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Server\Website\XML Data\DatacenterLocations.xml. Should have London and Boston in it to begin with, update those to reflect what you want to present the user (backup the file first). Within Compute Resources, you can then tag each cluster with a location, and update the blueprint to show location to the user.

Need to have the template available on each vCenter, Location field can't be made mandatory (although I saw a blog on modifying the self service portal to do that), if the end user doesn't select a location, it will use the priority ratings on the reservations to determine what reservation (and therefore what vCenter) to deploy the machine too.

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses Skycoop, I tried creating Property Dictionary for clonespec and created 2 custom specs in VC for different domains domain 1 and domain 2, I am able to deploy VM successfully added to domain 1.

When I choose domain 2 in drop down, VM is getting destroyed with the below error. Strange thing is am able to provision only machine either domain 1 or domain 2, if I want to provision another one I need to destroy the existing machine to make this clone spec work. Can you please have a look and let me what is the issue.

Error: Machine xzfgfd: CloneVM : Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source

0 Kudos
SkyCoop
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you post the build and main tab of the blueprint and perhaps the machine request page that shows the options you have for the drop down?

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos