VMware Cloud Community
EZ1976
Contributor
Contributor

custom property and vcac agent

I would like to have some software run post deployment of the servers (lets say notepad ++). Now the idea is to have the user mark a checkbox if he needs a software to be installed

1. I installed the vcac agent on the windows template.
  2. Went into "property definitions" and created a new property
  3. Called it "Notepad++.Custom.Property" and selected it as a "checkbox"
  4. Created a new build called "notepad ++" and set this properties:
  5. Notepad++.Custom.Property = prompt user "Yes"
  6. VirtualMachine.Admin.UseGuestAgent = True
  7. VirtualMachine.Customize.WaitComplete = true
  8. VirtualMachine.Software0.Name = Notepad ++
  9. VirtualMachine.Software0.ScriptPath = \\172.16.10.24\Install\notepad.exe /S
  10. 5) Created a new request and marked the checkbox to be installed but nothing is running.

Am I missing something?

If I need other software I can create other "builds" and naming each software with " VirtualMachine.Software0.Name" or do I need to change the software0 to Software1.name?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is the provisioning workflow you are using in the machine blueprint? Not all workflows are capable of running a script in the guest. All clone workflows do. But I know some create workflows don't support.

It looks like you want conditional inclusion of software based on a value of a custom property. For that what you've setup may not work. You could pass some arguments to the script and script can install notepad based on values of passed in argument(s). For this you can give script path as something like

\\172.16. 10.24\Install\InstallNotepad.bat install={Notepad.Install}

VCAC will substitute the value of custom property named 'Notepad.Install' in the above command-line - within your script you can now do conditional installation of software

Thanks Rags

This posting is provided as is and confers no rights

0 Kudos
EZ1976
Contributor
Contributor

i got  the vCAC agent to run inside the provisioned machine and installed the software.

i did that by doing a "build" with the info i wrote in the first post and added it to the blueprint.

so when the machine finished installing, the agent installed the software.

my question is: how do i create a checkbox and link it to a build.

i dont want all the "builds" i create to run on all the machines.

i would like to have the user check the checkboxes of the software they want and only they will install via agent.

thanks

0 Kudos
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't have vCAC in front of me, but you might be able to get the build options configured via property layouts... Have a look at the VirtualMachine.Request.Layout property. We've created some Property Layouts (under the Property Dictionary page) and linked them with a given build profile, with the VirtualMachine.Request.Layout property. Might work?

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Ideally you'd create these property sets as a Build Profile. You'd also use a drop down for the VirtualMachine.Software0.Name in order to have (as an example) Apache, MySQL etc all within the one field value.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos