VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

centos 6.6 vm deployed no network - but template works just fine

I created a centos 6.6 template and it has network just fine using vmxnet3. I also installed vmware tools before shutting it down and converting it to a template.

I then added it as a blueprint into vra and deployed it. vm got deployed powered up but there is no network

I went into the os and ifconfig does not even have eth0

any idea?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Out of interest,, did you clean up udev rues in /etc/udev/rules.d-70-persistence-net (or similar)? Sometimes in CentOS udev changes the ifcfg-ethx file to use an additional device which was increment based on the previous ethx device attached before templating.

Other things to check.

1 - Make sure you have a valid network profile attached to your reservation that the VM is using.

2 - If using clone or link cloned on the blueprint, check you have a Customization Spec configured - the Customization spec needs to match one configured in vCenter (e.g. CentOS). This config is what kicks of the customization spec so the IP config from vRA gets set during the guest customization task in vCenter (depending on whether you have set up network profiles correctly or specified an IP address at request time)

Oli

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

Thanks. yes I got the network to work now after removing the uuid + hardware from ifcfg-eth0 as well as the persistent rules file.

it deploys just fine from within vra.

but

I keep getting an error when deploying an app - which is just the same vm template from vcenter.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

‌so the blueprint that the logical template is mapped to definitely gets an IP address when provisioned in vRA. if it does and it can ping its gateway and the iaas model manager server, then check the logical template is mapped to the correct blueprint. If using linked clones, make sure you have run dara collections and you've selected the right snapshot. No reason why the app services VM shouldn't get an IP if the vRA VM does. I would triple check config.

Olii

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

are network profiles a must? what about customization spec? I do not have either one setup yet

Thanks

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what is this cloud network name?

Do I need to define one and how?Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 9.40.39 PM.png

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

thisis what is coming from the agent logs

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 6.10.42 AM.png

but I have rebooted the template vm before converting it to template

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It looks like the bootstrap agent has attempted to run from a previous deployment, but there are some files that are left over from this attempt in the template. Make sure that when you prepare your CentOS template, the udev rules are cleaned up and that the boot strap agent hasn't run before. Search around for the files it uses to determine whether it has run before. Make sure there isn't an appd.properties file already on the filesystem in /opt/vmware I seem to remember. Can you confirm the vm that boots up does get a valid IP address?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

yes vm gets dhcp ip when it boots up.

I booted up the template and ran

agent_reset.sh

confirmed there was no

/opt/vmware-appdirector/agent folder

removed

70-persistent-net.rules

shutdown  and converted back to template

but still same error. I tried deploying it from both app director and vra.

0 Kudos