VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

blueprint designer

hi,

i am looking to assign permissions for a user to allow them to design and create blueprints.

from looking i think this permission is the one that needs to be used:

Business group manager

the above role is what i found in version 6.2 but this role does not seem to be available in version 7.3

application architect & infrastructure architect are the ones that seem to make the most sense but i want the person to only be allowed to create blueprints for their own specific business group.

is this possible?  i have looked at the following resource but they only mention the permission at the tenant level rather tahn the business group vRealize Automation 7.0 

thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sorry, my mistake, we are using 7.2.  i dont think this has this role in 7.2

i can find this for 7.0 but it does not mention create blueprints

Business group manager

Add and delete users within their business group.

Assign support user roles to users in their business group.

Create and manage entitlements for their business group.

Request and manage items on behalf of a user in their business group.

Monitor resource usage in a business group.

Change machine owner.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
darrengoff3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can allocate Business Group Manager in 7.3 and the user will get the following permissions:

pastedImage_0.png

What type of blueprints do you need the user to create? There are several roles involved in designing and administering blueprints. The Business Group Manager roles allows the user to manage entitlements for their business group.

Thinking of an application blueprint, several roles are involved:

Infrastructure Architect - Create machine blueprints with optional networking and security components.

XaaS Architect - Create and publish XaaS components.

Software Architect - Create and publish software components.

Application Architect - Assemble blueprints and components into applications.

Catalog Administrator - Add blueprints and applications to services and Entitle users to request them from the catalog.

A typical application creation workflow includes the following steps:

1. Create and publish software components, properties, and dependencies.

2. Use the blueprint designer to design applications with published software components.

3. Configure the networking for the application blueprint.

4. Configure the security for the application blueprint.

5. Publish, entitle, and add the application blueprint to the catalog.

- DG If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sorry, my mistake, we are using 7.2.  i dont think this has this role in 7.2

i can find this for 7.0 but it does not mention create blueprints

Business group manager

Add and delete users within their business group.

Assign support user roles to users in their business group.

Create and manage entitlements for their business group.

Request and manage items on behalf of a user in their business group.

Monitor resource usage in a business group.

Change machine owner.

0 Kudos
darrengoff3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A Business Group Manager can only manage entitlements for their Business Group. The design tab is not visible to a Business Group Manager. The Design tab is only visible to Application Architects, Infrastructure Architects, Software Architects and XaaS Architects. These are Tenant level roles. Did you say you achieved your objective in vRA 6.2.x? In vRA 6.2.x, Business Group Managers managed catalog items and entitlements for their groups in the service catalog. They requested and managed items on behalf of users in their groups. They were also service architects in Infrastructure as a Service so the role permissions have changed slightly where the privileges for catalog and blueprint management has move to the new roles introduced in vRA 7.

- DG If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.