VMware Cloud Community
tupekm
Contributor
Contributor

VRA tags

Hi,

I'm having problem with creating tags in vRealize Orchestrator.

I've followed up instructions that i have found on couple websites - Kovarus... and others

VAPI metamodel and endpoint have been successfully added, when i do API search for "com_" i can see nearly 500 results.

Can someone point me on next step?

Idea is to create multiple tags on existing VMs and on new deployed VM's (presume that i will need to attach this option to deployment blueprint)

Multiple tags should contain info regarding backup, AV, monitoring - all tags should have fixed options with drop down menu.

For example: BACKUP -> NO, Daily, Monthly

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Did you create a CIS session? Can you list the metamodel? If you've added the vAPI endpoint and imported the correct metamodel, you should be able to run the workflow to list all tags. The results should be a repetitive string of entries like urn:vmomi:InventoryServiceTag:25befa00-61c0-4045-bbd7-6a4635fd388e:GLOBAL, but if you see this it should be functional.

Btw, if you want a super easy way of assigning tags that doesn't involve touching vRO, SovLabs has a module for vSphere tagging that is extremely simple and user friendly. I even wrote a blog that shows you how simple it can be: Automating vSphere Tagging in vRA with SovLabs

0 Kudos
tupekm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, i have reached that - i can run successfully "list all tags" workflow with results as you have point below.

Now I'm trying to put together workflow which will allow me to create tags for VM's.

Thanks for SovLabs solution, it looks really straight forward and user friendly, it would be great that VMware have something like that implemented in vRA , but i would really like to avoid third party application.

I have already read articles on:

vRealize Orchestrator 7 VAPI vSphere tags workflow | virtual devops

Assigning vCenter tags using vRealize Orchestrator – The vGoodie-bag

Assigning VMware Tags using vRealize Automation 7 and vRealize Orchestrator

On last link I have reached step where I can see scripting classes, just need to figure out how to put together in one nice workflow.

Thank you daphnissov

0 Kudos
hawks76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As an alternate solutions, we just invoke a powershell script and run powercli passing in some variables.

see this thread if you are interested: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2740032#2740032

0 Kudos