VMware Cloud Community
gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One blueprint, multiple machine prefixes

Hi,

I've searched for an answer to my question without much luck which may mean it is not possible (or it seems to be possible with Sovlabs module).

A business group needs to be able to create machines with either srv-web-### or srv-app-### as a machine prefix. Using two blueprints is one solution, but what I would like to do is, with one blueprint, to present the user with the option of which type of server he/she wants to create. I've seen several examples on how to manipulate the name, but they don't seem to keep the numbering the way I want to.

Let me explain what I mean by some examples.

1. User creates a web server that gets the name srv-web-001.

2. User creates a app server that get the name srv-app-002.

3. User creates a web server that get the name srv-web-003.

4. User creates a app server that get the name srv-app-004.

What I want is:

1. User creates a web server that gets the name srv-web-001.

2. User creates a app server that get the name srv-app-001.

3. User creates a web server that get the name srv-web-002.

4. User creates a app server that get the name srv-app-002.

So my question is, is it possible to "replace" or set the machine prefix to be used at request time? Ideally this would be possible "natively" with vRA, but suggestions on how to accomplish this with scripting/workflows will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So my question is, is it possible to "replace" or set the machine prefix to be used at request time?

Not to my knowledge, because machine prefixes are designed to be very, very simple and are basically useless in larger, more complex environments. If you had SovLabs Custom Naming module this is a piece of cake and takes all of about 20 seconds to accomplish.

gbeke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not to my knowledge, because machine prefixes are designed to be very, very simple and are basically useless in larger, more complex environments. If you had SovLabs Custom Naming module this is a piece of cake and takes all of about 20 seconds to accomplish.

Thanks for your reply. That is my impression also after googling. I may have to look into the Sovlabs module. If it is not too expensive I may be able to convince my manager to get it.

0 Kudos