VMware Cloud Community
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not able to allocate IP from Network Profiles.

Hello,

I want to enable end user to select Network based upon the available network chosen in PG while defining reservation. I am using XML to list out those portgroups but facing issues with it . I am using vCAC 5.2 with vSphere 5.5

The template is configured with no Network Adaptor keeping in mind that what ever Network Selected by user would add to the provisioned VM.

1- I am able to get the Port-group reflected in vcenter under network section but VM setting does not list any adaptor added. I could see Mac address associated with the Portgroup and IP allocated from Network Profile but i do not see these values in VM .

2- I customized Provisioned VM from vCAC and added additional NIC with different portgroup which also has associated Network Profile with different subnet. This time i could see Port group reflected in vCenter under Network and also Adapter is also added to VM but again could not see IP address other then APIPA address. However one IP is again assigned from network Profiles which is not seen anywhere in VM.

did i missed anything? is there any agent which should be installed in VM to enable this functionality (just a wild Guess!! :smileygrin:)

Please Help!!

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yeah this actually fixed the issue but still this is strange that we need customization specs to be defined in vCenter and reference has to be placed in blueprint, how is build profile Important in this scenario?

however, Custom Property 'CloneSpec' is not mandatory to mention under properties if you are using 'Customization Specs' field from Blueprint.

This does not require installation of Agent. It is agent-less procedure.

thanks

Br,

MG

Regards, MG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using clone?  Did you specify a customization spec?  I can't remember the specifics but I recall that there is somewhat of a strange requirement to have a customization spec with the correct number of adapters to work...  Not sure, but this information could be the documentation.

VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yeah!! thanks for the reference, i could see in operating guide where it is mentioned about including 'Customization Specs' in blueprint which i presume to be one defined in vCenter and same exact name to be mentioned in here. But if that is so, isn't it same as build profile in vCAC? is it still required to be mentioned specifically?

there is not much information available for this scenario, does anyone tried it?

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can anyone please provide more workable information in this? it is surprising to me no mater how many NICs i attached to VM designed to obtain IP from Network Profile, IP is not getting passed to the VM only APIPA is assigned to the NIC?

Custom Properties of provisioned VM to check the assignment of IP address and found the actual network configuration information which was supposed to be at NIC are listed in custom properties but can not see those at NIC in VM.

Guys please help me!!

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am also on same boat, I am also trying to clone the VM, but the VM is not getting the IP and NIC is not getting powered on. Waiting for the solution.

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have installed vcac agent in reference machine as per document, still IP is not pushed to cloned VM Smiley Sad from network profiles.

Download and extract setup\GugentZip.zip from the vCAC installation package into C:\ on

the reference machine. This will produce the folder C:\VRMGuestAgent.

Note: Do not change the name of the C:\VRMGuestAgent folder.

b. In an elevated command prompt, run one of the following commands:

(HTTP) winservice -i -h vcac_fqdn[:portnumber]

(HTTPS) winservice -i -h vcac_fqdn[:portnumber -p ssl]

0 Kudos
rajuroks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue resolved for me, I have defined custom property "CloneSpec" and specify your VC Customization spec.

VirExprt
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yeah this actually fixed the issue but still this is strange that we need customization specs to be defined in vCenter and reference has to be placed in blueprint, how is build profile Important in this scenario?

however, Custom Property 'CloneSpec' is not mandatory to mention under properties if you are using 'Customization Specs' field from Blueprint.

This does not require installation of Agent. It is agent-less procedure.

thanks

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the reason why is because vSphere and GuestOS required that IP Addresses to be configured as part of a customization specification rather than a configuration specification so that the GuestOS is aware of the ip address on first boot.  If we configured this on the machine without a customization specification, the vm would have the network but there are potential issues in the guest.   My guess is the agent always tries to get the custom spec rather than build from scratch to avoid overwriting an assigned spec.

At any rate, it really isn't a safe assumption to just silently continue and should probably be a better error or warning at minimum.

I'd guess we could revisit if this is necessary at all and use an "either" approach and in most modern OS don't rely on it as much, but it'd be interesting to see if this were possible manually through vSphere to assign static ip with no customization spec.

0 Kudos
pengle444
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

like this?

CloneSpec.png

0 Kudos
sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I am also facing the same issue. May I know how to define customization specs in vcenter?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos