VMware Cloud Community
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NSX network migration considerations with vRA

Hi - I am performing the following scenario with NSX 6.2.4 and vRA 7.1:

• Migrate vRA managed VMs from local logical switch to universal logical switch
  • No re-IP for VMs
  • Keep everything in vRA in check post-migration and allow new provisions to only land on the new ULS

The steps planned are as follows:

• Migrate VMs to the ULS (change their vNic connections)
  • Update the Network Path on the vRA reservation to point to the new ULS dvPortgroup, using the ORIGINAL Network Profile
  • Run a data collection in vRA

Concerns:

• I want the IP address management done by the network profile to still be valid for both the old VMs and the new (i am reusing the profile and consumed addresses prior to the migration are still consumed)
  • What is the involvement of the networking & security data collection in the above if anything? I don't care about any other NSX constructs, just universal logical switches being consumed via External Network Profiles - is this purely done from the vCenter collection?

Would be very interested to hear any concerns around this migration approach and the role of the data collection in this/if i have to worry about things getting out of step. Many thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
Richard__R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi - thanks for replying but I already understand the pre-requisites for the installation of the NSX components. My post is querying the migration approach from the perspective of vRA and any potential impact to Network Profile consumption.

Thanks

0 Kudos