VMware Cloud Community
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Multi Machine Blueprints

I want the ability to build multi machine blueprints but it appears that this is only possible when using NSX. Is that true? I suppose the only way to create multi machine stacks would be using the advanced service designer to create an orchestration workflow to do this, but I guess I would lose the ability for users to manage any VMs they deploy such as the ability to extend leases or destroy them. Are there any other options?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can absolutely deploy multi machine blueprints without NSX. It can deploy each machine in the multi machine blueprint onto an external network profile. What NSX will give you is the ability to deploy a multi machine blueprint with dynamically created networks and edge gateway. For example, let's take the common 3-tier app multi machine blueprint and deploy it without NSX. Create an external network profile for web, app, and db. When you deploy the blueprint to these networks, all of your db servers, for example, will be on the same port group. With NSX, 3 new port groups will be created when you deploy and just the db server for that app will be on the db port group. An edge gateway will be provisioned to provide connectivity between the newly created port groups and an external port group.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can absolutely deploy multi machine blueprints without NSX. It can deploy each machine in the multi machine blueprint onto an external network profile. What NSX will give you is the ability to deploy a multi machine blueprint with dynamically created networks and edge gateway. For example, let's take the common 3-tier app multi machine blueprint and deploy it without NSX. Create an external network profile for web, app, and db. When you deploy the blueprint to these networks, all of your db servers, for example, will be on the same port group. With NSX, 3 new port groups will be created when you deploy and just the db server for that app will be on the db port group. An edge gateway will be provisioned to provide connectivity between the newly created port groups and an external port group.