Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move VM to a new Reservation/Storage

Hi

I am using a NetApp FAS2552 as storage, vCAC 6.1

I have 2x Storage Paths in my Reservation

I want to move the VM from StoragePathA to StoragePathB

I have tried changing the reservation, Infrastructure - Machines - Managed Machines, and amending the Storage to StoragePathB. This doesn't appear to do anything though.

Is this the correct method? do you then need to wait? or then manually migrate the VM in vSphere ?

I haven't done anything in vSphere yet as I assumed it would break the link with vCAC and that vCAC wouldn't recognise the VM has moved ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you move the machine, the inventory service will come back through and pick it up in the new location (based on whatever schedule you have set up).  I believe Reservations only come into play when you are trying to provision. Nothing you do in the reservation will *move* machines.  The machine can exist in a storage location that isn't part of the Business Group reservation.  You can also have more than one storage location assigned to a Reservation. (as you have noted)

VCAC looks into vcenter for the machine ID (don't remember which one).  You can do anything (more or less) to the VM and the inventory service will refresh the VM with the new values (e.g. vm datastore location, virtual storage layout, memory, CPU, etc changes).  You won't "break" the link.

Do a storage vmotion of any VCAC (vRA) managed machine from vSphere and run the inventory service (Infrastructure/Compute Resources/Compute Resources" and click Data Collection for your Compute Resource endpoint), and you will see what I mean...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you move the machine, the inventory service will come back through and pick it up in the new location (based on whatever schedule you have set up).  I believe Reservations only come into play when you are trying to provision. Nothing you do in the reservation will *move* machines.  The machine can exist in a storage location that isn't part of the Business Group reservation.  You can also have more than one storage location assigned to a Reservation. (as you have noted)

VCAC looks into vcenter for the machine ID (don't remember which one).  You can do anything (more or less) to the VM and the inventory service will refresh the VM with the new values (e.g. vm datastore location, virtual storage layout, memory, CPU, etc changes).  You won't "break" the link.

Do a storage vmotion of any VCAC (vRA) managed machine from vSphere and run the inventory service (Infrastructure/Compute Resources/Compute Resources" and click Data Collection for your Compute Resource endpoint), and you will see what I mean...

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>> I want to move the VM from StoragePathA to StoragePathB

With regard to that... do you have the Advanced Service Designer?

If you want to move the VM as part of a Machine Item Action, that would probably be your best bet.  (use a VCO workflow that does a storage vmotion of a VC:VirtualMachine and call it from an ASD Resource Action)

cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sean

Unfortunately we don't have Advanced Services - which I realised after a day of configuring VCO and wondering where it was!

I have just tried your suggestion and it worked a treat. I actually tried it yesterday but it didn't work, but I have a feeling that I changed the "Storage" then migrated in vCenter

I hadn't expected it to be that simple!

Thankyou very much

Jon

0 Kudos
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing i have just thought of:

Im using NetApp FlexClones. The template is stored on StoragePathA. I am moving the VMs to StoragePathB, do you know if its then just a case of also moving my template?

Im not sure whether FlexClones will break if they lose reference to the original file/template ?

0 Kudos
cegjd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ignore this ive sorted it. The link can be broken but the VM will "fill out"

Thanks for the previous advise

Jon

0 Kudos
jhturver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One question on this - does moving vCAC-managed VMs onto different storage upset vCAC/vRAs understanding of what capacity is available for provisioing new VMs on a given reservation?

i.e. will vCAC be retrospectively aware that there is less/more space available on a particular datastore/datastore cluster?

Many thanks in advance for any confirmation

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It will collect available storage in the next inventory collection, so no issue there.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos