VMware Cloud Community
gsaliensjr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you need to failover ManagerService - How???

Folks

I have successfully deployed a fully distributable vCAC environment.  A couple of questions concering redundancy in the

vCAC stack.   When you install Manager Service, it is installed with one server being active and the other in cold standby.

If I need to failover to the 2nd server, what would be the process to make the Cold standby server now active?

Also, can some explain the redundancy concerning DEM Orchestrator.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aronov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe they both are deployed with Passive and Active instance (you install Orchestrator on the same boxes as manager service).

I believe the only thing needed to switch is to stop the windows service on the "Active" instance and then start the service on the "Passive" one.

AFAK the orchestrator is not being called over HTTP and thus nothing would be needed once you start the second instance. With the manager service i guess the LB will automatically start passing the calls to the passive one (now active) once the main service stops responding, but kind of guessing here...

From this sentence from the installation guide - vCloud Automation Center Documentation

"

If you have not already done so, install an additional instance of the Manager Service component as a passive backup that you can start manually if the primary instance fails. Select Disaster Recovery cold standby node during installation. "

I would suppose that the fail-over switching would not happen automatically...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Aronov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe they both are deployed with Passive and Active instance (you install Orchestrator on the same boxes as manager service).

I believe the only thing needed to switch is to stop the windows service on the "Active" instance and then start the service on the "Passive" one.

AFAK the orchestrator is not being called over HTTP and thus nothing would be needed once you start the second instance. With the manager service i guess the LB will automatically start passing the calls to the passive one (now active) once the main service stops responding, but kind of guessing here...

From this sentence from the installation guide - vCloud Automation Center Documentation

"

If you have not already done so, install an additional instance of the Manager Service component as a passive backup that you can start manually if the primary instance fails. Select Disaster Recovery cold standby node during installation. "

I would suppose that the fail-over switching would not happen automatically...

0 Kudos
gsaliensjr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fantastic...Thank you...

0 Kudos