VMware Cloud Community
normankean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IAAS Setup Issue - SQL Database

I am having issues getting the IaaS portion of vRA setup.  During the setup I'm receiving an error stating "Domain user iwic\vra.svc is not valid or database access denied.  Validation error 1385."  This has occurred when trying to connect to a SQL cluster and with a local SQL install on the IaaS server.  I've ruled out firewall issues, ensured that the vra.svc has full admin right to the SQL server, verified correct username and password.  As this point I'm stuck and looking for help on getting this install completed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
normankean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue ended up being with the SQL instance port number.  The port number for this instance of SQL had changed and I didn't have that information.  When I was using the SQL Management Studio to log into the SQL server it doesn't require a port number however when installing vRA you do need to know the correct port number of the SQL cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you use the installer to create the database and select Use Windows Authentication, the credentials

under which you executed the installer must have the sysadmin role in SQL Server to create and alter

the size of the database.

this is what vRA 6.2 installation guide says, double check if you are really meeting this.

Additional set of requirements

IaaS server database connectivity requirements:

TCP/IP protocol enabled for MS SQL Server.

Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator service enabled on all SQL nodes in the system.

Appropriate network ports open between database server and IaaS server.

If using SQL Server Express, the SQL Server Browser service must be running.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
normankean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've checked all these and double and triple checked this this morning.  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
adelcheva
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Look in MSSQL and assign the same permissions that the SA has to your domain account.   this is under Security, logins and user mappings.  The account should have all of the boxes checked.

Probably you are missing the sysadmin rights.

0 Kudos
normankean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue ended up being with the SQL instance port number.  The port number for this instance of SQL had changed and I didn't have that information.  When I was using the SQL Management Studio to log into the SQL server it doesn't require a port number however when installing vRA you do need to know the correct port number of the SQL cluster.

0 Kudos
adelcheva
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

Is it possible to provide us some more installation details, for example which installation type you have selected, on which step you got the error message - validation or installation, when exactly did the port got changed - after the installation, before or during the installation after some components succeeded to install?

Thanks,

Anna

0 Kudos