VMware Cloud Community
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hide a Custom Menu Option in UI based on Custom Property

Hello, I'm curious if it's possible to show or hide a custom menu option based on the existence or value of a custom property? (similar to the machineStates filter in the operation config file)

The use case I'm considering is if a component was "installed" already by a menu operation workflow (post provisioning at user request), then suppress the menu option so the user can't click on it again.  I'm trying to avoid any customization (hacks) to the web site aspx files if possible.

Thanks,

-David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JKougoulos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Not sure if you consider this a hack (IMHO, it's a bit ugly workaround) but I think that you could have two identical blueprints, one with the menu enabled and the other without and switch between the blueprints when you install / uninstall the component.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
dcoulter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi John, thanks for the suggestion.  I think the overhead of managing multiple identical blueprints would be too much.  I'm looking for a way to control whether a menu item gets displayed or not for a given blueprint.  There is a built-in machine power state option (machineStates), but that's only a single use case - versus custom properties which could open up several possibilities.

Thanks,

-David

0 Kudos
JKougoulos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, this overhead is the major drawback. If blueprints could be inherited instead of copied a lot of things might be simpler.

Perhaps the self service portal has more customization capabilities for this use case, but I haven't used it.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos