VMware Cloud Community
yangjianus
Contributor
Contributor

Handle vRA Request Error

Hi, everyone,

I'm currently working on create a 3rd party ticket when there is any error occurs during the provisioning process, which the main part is "How to trigger something when error occurs".

I have tried to subscription - machine provisioning, set condition to 'any event', but the workflow is not been triggered when some thing like 'no reservation available" error occurs. Is there anything custom properties required to enable some feature?

I found the document Configuring the Error Behavior for States and Events ‌, but it's not clear how to use it. Anyone have example?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. The link you posted clearly states what custom property that has to be used for it. Have you tried it?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
yangjianus
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, tried it. But maybe not the right value.

I have put the following into property group:

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.BuildingMachine.Disposing

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.RegisterMachine.Finalized

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.MachineProvisioned.UnprovisionMachine

with value "*" for each of them,

Also tried

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.BuildingMachine.PRE

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.RegisterMachine.PRE

Extensibility.Lifecycle.Error.Event.MachineProvisioned.PRE

with value "*" for each of them,

I have setup a Blocking subscription with a workflow which is accept a 'payload' property as input, the workflow will System.log everything in the payload.

Did see anything related to error when there is a 'No reservation available error' happens.

Please advise.

Thanks!

-Jay

0 Kudos
yangjianus
Contributor
Contributor

It turns out the 'machine provisioning' topic isn't the right one for error handling.

• With 'EventLog Default Event' topic, we can catch all the events listed under Administration -> Event -> Event Logs. In my case, I set my condition to match EventType, Target, Description. Good thing of Event Logs is that you can see what log is available for you to subscribe first, then create your condition for it.
  • With 'Machine Lifecycle' topic, we can check 'Data.Lifecycle_State_Event' for *Timeout, or check 'Data.Lifecycle_State_Name' for *FailedProvisioning.

With those two kinds of topic we can cover all of our use cases.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

This is a pretty neat use case for the event broker that I hadn't thought of. Would you be ok if I write something up on the topic?

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
yangjianus
Contributor
Contributor

Sure. I will try to put something together laterSmiley Happy

0 Kudos