VMware Cloud Community
keeleral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Expired VM takes an hour to expire in the portal

I am wondering why when I expire or when the system expires a vm it takes roughly an hour for the status to show up as expired in the portal.  I don't remember this happening this way in older versions.  Does anyone know how to make it expire as soon as the request it sent.  The main issue is the workflow that gets kicked off when a vm is expired.  Our monitoring system starts alerting when a vm is turned off, so i build a workflow that runs a script to silence the alerts only when a vm is expired.  So because it takes an hour to kick off the expire workflow the vm keeps alerting that entire time.

Thanks

Tags (3)
4 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Yep... I am wondering the same exact thing.  This is bad.  Did you figure out an answer to this?

0 Kudos
keeleral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, i found this http://pubs.vmware.com/vra-62/topic/com.vmware.vra.system.administration.doc/GUID-5FBB7C73-2AAD-4106... in the admin guide.

Adjust Execution Frequency of Machine Callbacks, the variable in the xml file is "ProcessLeaseWorkflowTimerCallbackIntervalMiliSeconds" Be careful there might be performance implications of setting this value too low. When the expire timer fires, it will check lease expires for the virtual machines and determines which virtual machines have their lease expired. If the timeout is set to 1 sec, for example, a check occurs every second whether any leases are expired.

SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Excellent!  This worked perfectly.

Do you think the state change should happen before the power off?  (so the Expire Extensibility workflows can be run prior to power off)

0 Kudos
keeleral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my testing I've only seen power off come first before it runs the expire workflow

0 Kudos