VMware Cloud Community
davequinlisk
Contributor
Contributor

Editing a VM in vCAC 6.0.1.1 configures incorrect Network Adapter type

Hi All,

I am experiencing an issue with vCAC 6 in regard to configuring a secondary network adapter for a previously deployed VM.

The VM is a Win 2k8 R2 VM that was created from a Template that was located in vCD.

When I edit the VM and submit the request for the secondary network adapter, it creates the NIC with an adapter type of Flexible.

As Win 2k8 does not support Flexible, we need to specify that VMXNET3 is selected.  Any ideas how this would be achieved?

I have had a go at doing this using custom properties but this does not seem to make a difference.

Any direction appreciated.

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Honestly, I have had some real trouble with "Edit" for any network function in both VCAC 6.0 and 6.1.

I haven't tried to solve this one yet, but if I were to go about it... I would use the Advanced Service Designer and add the network adapter via VCO workflow.  Then let the inventory service come through and pick up the change (-or- you can actually kick off an inventory scan from the VCO workflow as well).

If you do not have ASD, you won't be able to do that, and you may be at the mercy of the current limitations in the product version you are using.  If there is an answer, I hope you find it.  I am also interested in knowing if this is possible via "Edit."  For the time being, we have completely removed "Edit" as an entitlement as it has created more trouble than good.

You could also just have a blueprint that deploys a machine with two or more network adapters.  Maybe that would work for you.  Dunno.

0 Kudos
alexanderjn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setting the Custom Property VMware.Network.Type to VMXNET3 in the blueprint addressed this issue for me (vCAC 6.1, vSphere 5.5). It's in the 6.1 documentation here but also exists in 6.0: http://pubs.vmware.com/vCAC-61/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vcac.iaascustomprops.doc%2FGUID-D6FA0C9...

Hope that helps,

-Alex

0 Kudos
davequinlisk
Contributor
Contributor

This is an old thread but just for info, I wanted to explain the outcome.

When using vCD as an endpoint, the Custom Attribute VMware.Network.Type is ignored.

This only works if you have a vSphere as an endpoint.  This was confirmed by a VMWare Support Ticket.

This had to be a manual workaround in this scenario, frustrating!

Thanks for all the input.

0 Kudos