VMware Cloud Community
cmbwml1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disable Custom Names

We enabled custom naming templates in vRA 8.8 and didn't realize it would prevent us from specifying VM names without a number appended.  Is there a way to disable the custom naming templates feature or to override the default resource naming action of mcm###-####### getting appended?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit: My reply was about Per-Project Custom Naming Templates, not the 'Custom Names' new system, so it's irrelevant.

0 Kudos
rwk1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

Same issue here and we had a talk with our TAM. Once you enabled Custom Naming Templates you can not disable it. The Number Generator is unfortunately mandatory for the Templates but this will be changed in Future vRA Versions. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you (we redeployed vRA because of this behavior).

Robert

Drink coffee.. Do stupid things faster with more energy...
0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh, I misunderstood, since vRA uses the term 'custom naming' in multiple places.  (using the same term to mean different things in different places is definitely a VMWare issue).  Yes, I avoided the new 'global custom naming' when it appeared, and looks like I can be glad I did with what you said!

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Glad I found this thread... I did only test this in a non production environment and I took snapshots so I was able to revert... but I was pretty shocked to find out that a number incremented was a requirement.  Also, it seems like using ${resource.name} on it's own as the template is not valid???  In our environment we want it all to line up with what the user has input for the system name.  We do other verification outside of vRA to make sure the name is valid.  

I think I'll report all this as a "bug" and hopefully they will allow more flexibility in future releases.  Not useable for us now.

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit: Answering the wrong thing again... vRA terminology can be frustrating (Custom Naming Templates vs... Custom Name Templates?  Or even better, "Templates (i.e. Blueprints) vs Templates (i.e. 'Images')"?  Did marketing get their hands on this?

0 Kudos
ajayran
Contributor
Contributor

So I reinstalled 8.8 and I had this option, I didn't enroll

ajayran_0-1658938293465.png

And verified that I am not enrolled

ajayran_1-1658938337460.png

but it's still appending that MCM###

ajayran_2-1658938366933.png

any guidance or tips is appreciated

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think maybe that is the default behavior... in your screenshot I can't see what the template is set to.  It is completely empty it has to name it something.  Try setting it to this ${resource.name} .

qc4vmware_0-1658958711596.png

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also, I think I saw in the release notes as of some version you don't have the option to not have the new naming scheme active.  I was surprised to see you could install 8.8 and still had a choice.  I suspect you can still override this with a extensibility action on the machine provisioning event.

0 Kudos
Srikanthsri1
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

Is this issue is fixed in latest version? 
We have recently upgraded to 8.6.1 version and after that i have enrolled for Custom Name option. After that see that there is no option to skip number after VM name (which I have entered VM name blue print while initiating VM deployment).

is there is a way to skip the  number 

Example: in 8.4xx version I an specify only ${resource.name} in custom name for a project. So that the tool will take only name specified in blue print field. 

But in 8.6.1  custom name template is not allowing me to create template if I specify ${resource.name}. I need to specify ${######} we will . example ${resource.name}${####}. So, with this settings I get VM name followed by number.

So, is there is a way to skip that number (${####}? can you help me here?  

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should be able to override the behavior with a extensibility subscription.  I'm actually working on that myself now.  I'll share my solution if I get it working but there are probably also examples here or on developer.vmware.com.

0 Kudos
domdap
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

I have exactly the same issue, would you like to share your workaround ? 

domdap_0-1691065605752.png

Thanks

Dominic

0 Kudos
DanielStastka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disable of Custom Names and creation of Multi-Tennent is irreversible on vAA. They are no point of return. I waste a lot of time with this.

My need was a global automatic hostname on all projects with definition of production, test and develop with prefix and number range

• On Blueprint i have not defined a "name". (Cloud.vSphere.Machine) 
  • On Service Broker i have a Input-Field (readonly) to display prediction of next Hostname:
usr_vm_name:
type: string
title: VM Name
description: prediction of VM Name
$dynamicDefault: /data/vro-actions/vro/GetNextHostnameView?env={{usr_dp_env}}
  • On Project i have temporary Name: Template => server-${####}
  • Subscription "Computer allocation" => compute.allocation.pre set a Workflow
    • Workflow call a Action to
      • Create a Hostname with [prefix]-[environment]-[number] to Variable "newName"
        • prefix and environment are input field (dropdown on Broker)
        • Numbercount saved on Configuration Item over Action
        • create a "lock"/"unlock" of workflow if you make a bulk/parallel creation of vm (unique naming)
      • Workflow return: resourceNames => Array/string

//Return new name as "resourceNames"
resourceNames = [];
resourceNames[0] = newName;

You find with "Custom Form VM naming" other Posts with same Solution

domdap
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

For those that need to bypass the default hardcoding naming convention of VMware aria automation here is the way i did to do that.

Reason for that: 

Some of my clients absolutely want to enter the hostname as an input into a custom form to deploy their server. They want to control by itself the naming convention. Again, like you know in VMware aria Automation, there a default hardcoding naming convention you can't disable.

Trick to bypass that:

You need to create an event subscription of compute allocation type and create a Workflow that will overwrite the VMware customProperties.resourceName when the deployment is started.

Scriptable task and input inside the Workflow look like this:

customProperties = inputProperties['customProperties'];
var resourceNames = new Array();
resourceNames[0] = customProperties['serverName'];

inputProperties Properties Input
customProperties Properties Output
resourceNames Array/string Output

Input and variable Inside the cloud template:

deploy_serverName:
type: string
title: Hostname

serverName: ${input.deploy_serverName}

See attached print Screen to have a better understanding about this trick.... Hope is clear!

WF.pngcloud template nom server.pngSubscription.pnginput WF.png