VMware Cloud Community
nsuraj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Block the extension of Boot Drive while using 'Reconfigure' action

Hi everyone,

In vRA, after a machine is provisioned initially using a Blueprint, the user has an option to Reconfigure the VM.

We have a requirement that the user should be able to edit everything except that the boot drive cannot be expanded.

The user can assign multiple drives, and the other drives can be added as required.

The Reconfigure action comes built-in with VRA, so it cannot be edited.

I am attaching the screenshots for reference, below.

item page.JPG

machine_req.JPG

reconfigureoption.JPG

The edit option in the default volume in Storage tab should not be editable.

Can we do that?

BR

Suraj N

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

thats not possible using the default IAAS reconfigure-action for what I know. All IaaS actions are limited to the options given in the entitlements / blueprint properties. You can double check the custom properties reference if there's a build in property for that - though I currently can't remember a property that would disable boot-drive changes.

The only way you could hack that is reversing the action which would probably include manipulating some VMware .dll files. That said: this would be totally not supported and probably break your neck some time later.

The only "valid" option you have here is to disable the reconfigure-action task and create a custom reconfigure-action task using vRealize Orchestrator and ASD. While writing the workflow would not be that hard since most of the required workflows already exist the disadvantage here would be the limited UI options of the ASD.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

thats not possible using the default IAAS reconfigure-action for what I know. All IaaS actions are limited to the options given in the entitlements / blueprint properties. You can double check the custom properties reference if there's a build in property for that - though I currently can't remember a property that would disable boot-drive changes.

The only way you could hack that is reversing the action which would probably include manipulating some VMware .dll files. That said: this would be totally not supported and probably break your neck some time later.

The only "valid" option you have here is to disable the reconfigure-action task and create a custom reconfigure-action task using vRealize Orchestrator and ASD. While writing the workflow would not be that hard since most of the required workflows already exist the disadvantage here would be the limited UI options of the ASD.

nsuraj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi rszymczakrszymczak,

I am not sure whether there would be an existing workflow for the 'Reconfigure action' element as it is a built-in element of vRA.

And creating a new custom action element does require a Workflow!

When creating a Workflow for it... what all needs to be considered?

BR

Suraj N

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi nsuraj,

I'm not saying there is a "ready to use" reconfigure workflow, just that all (or most) of the parts, such as: add disk, hot-add RAM / CPU, are already there. So you "only" have to write them up in the way you want your custom reconfigure-action to work.

What do you mean by what needs to be considered?

0 Kudos
nsuraj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi rszymczak‌,

Ok, I have understood it...
By what to be considered, I meant the things you have already mentioned in the comment, like add disk, hot-add RAM / CPU ..

Thanks

Suraj N

0 Kudos