VMware Cloud Community
PaulDND
Contributor
Contributor

Assigning IP's to a kickstart

We've got a pool of static IP's in a network profile..

We're using the LinuxKickstartWorkflow to provision VM's.

Anyone know how we can have an IP address assigned from the Profile?

Is it as simple as adding the VirtualMachine.NetworkN.ProfileName custom property.?  If so, how does it get passed

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can follow following steps..

Boot a host using Auto Deploy.

With vSphere Client connect to the vCenter Server that manages the Auto Deploy host, select the host, and select View > Management > Host Profiles to display the host profile.

Select a host, select Edit Profile, and select Networking configuration > Host port group > Management Network > IP address settings > IP address.

Select User specified IP address to be used while applying the configuration.

Select Networking configuration > DNS configuration > DNS settings  and make sure the Flag indicating if DHCP should be used check box is not selected.

If the host is in a different subnet than the vCenter Server system, select Network Configuration > IP route configuration > Default gateway for IPv4 routing > Default IPv4 gatewayand supply the default route.

Export the host profile and modify the rule that assigns a host profile to the hosts for which you want to use a static IP address.

In the vSphere Client, apply the host profile to be prompted for the information without rebooting.

a

Right-click the host, select Host Profiles > Manage Profile, select the profile to attach, and click OK.

b

Right-click the host and select Enter Maintenance Mode.

c

Right-click the host and select Host Profiles > Apply Profile.

d

When prompted, provide the IP address.

e

Right-click the host and select Exit Maintenance Mode.

The IP address is saved in an answer file. The next time you boot, the answer file information is applied to the host. One answer file per host is available.

Take care!

0 Kudos
PaulDND
Contributor
Contributor

I mentioned in my post: "We're using the LinuxKickstartWorkflow to provision VM's.".  The profile I'm referring to is 'Network Profile' which comes from VCAC.

I recommend relocating your post to a Host-profile thread.  This thread is for VCAC.

Thanks for the effort.

0 Kudos
ShibbyB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Paul,

You should be able to grab an IP by either associating the network profile you created with the port group in the virtual reservation, or using the VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName with the name of the profile as you mentioned, if you have multiple port groups selected in the virtual reservation you will also want to specify the port group with VirtualMachine.Network0.Name.

I'm not sure if you have the kickstart provisioning working without the static IP assignment, but you will need a DHCP available for the initial boot to the ISO that starts the kickstart process so the agent can startup and get the work items from vCAC, one of those work items should be the IP address and host name.

0 Kudos