VMware Cloud Community
tupekm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Approval policy(S) for deployment

Hi all,

Is it possible to set up two approval policy's ?

For example:

• user request Vm from catalog
  • approval policy is triggered and it is send to Technical department for approval
  • after Technical department approves deployment it does not trigger deployment, instead it goes to Financial department for approval
  • After Financial department approves deployment - deployment can be executed.

Any ideas?

I tried to put those two departments under approval groups with option "all must approve", but that means that Financial can approve before Technical, and they want to be in order. first Tech then Financial.

Can that be solved by defining pre and post approval rules?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you set levels within an approval policy, the approval option for each level has to be met before moving to the next level.

For example, if you require Any must approve from level 1, then if anyone defined in level 1 approves, it will move to level 2.  Then in level 2 if all must approve is set, then everyone in level 2 would need to approve.

In your case, create a level 1 for tech approval and level 2 for finance.  It makes sense to separate these if you don't want to bother the finance people with approvals that the tech team might decline.  Another use case might be manager approval --> infrastructure approval --> security approval --> finance approval.

Less is more with approvals though - try to streamline where possible.  The more approvals required means the longer the request takes and the higher chance the user gets frustrated and looks for other avenues to achieve their goal.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you just require two approvers. This is built into the policies as a type. Why would it matter who approves in what order if it still requires both approvals to deploy?

0 Kudos
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you set levels within an approval policy, the approval option for each level has to be met before moving to the next level.

For example, if you require Any must approve from level 1, then if anyone defined in level 1 approves, it will move to level 2.  Then in level 2 if all must approve is set, then everyone in level 2 would need to approve.

In your case, create a level 1 for tech approval and level 2 for finance.  It makes sense to separate these if you don't want to bother the finance people with approvals that the tech team might decline.  Another use case might be manager approval --> infrastructure approval --> security approval --> finance approval.

Less is more with approvals though - try to streamline where possible.  The more approvals required means the longer the request takes and the higher chance the user gets frustrated and looks for other avenues to achieve their goal.

0 Kudos
tupekm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that, i have run a few tests and it is working like a charm.

That is it what i have been looking for, first approval from tech, then financial for review and final approval.

I just cant believe that i haven't noticed big green plus and "Level" beside it.

0 Kudos