VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Add server to OU vRA8.1

Hi,

Is there any resource can helps with vRO embedded workflow to register a VM under the correct OU in Active Directory ?  Or if you can guide me to some basic configuration steps? in vRO 6 och 7.x I could add AD as an endpoint but I could not find this feature on embedded vRO

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdoola11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do this in two ways.

1. Configure AD plug-in in VRO --> then Use library workflows to add computer to the OU

2. Use in-guest script to run at VM OS level using custom property in the blueprint like software.script1.path "<DOS/Powershell command to add the computer to domain>"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi vSohill​,

Did you checked this doc How do I create an Active Directory integration in vRealize Automation Cloud Assembly ?

You can integrate vRA with AD and then, per project, you can specify the OU where all the machines for that project will be created.

Is this what you are needing?

If not, you can use extensibility to do that... vRA8.1 has the Active Directory plugin installed by default.

Regards,

Leandro.

0 Kudos
cdoola11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do this in two ways.

1. Configure AD plug-in in VRO --> then Use library workflows to add computer to the OU

2. Use in-guest script to run at VM OS level using custom property in the blueprint like software.script1.path "<DOS/Powershell command to add the computer to domain>"

0 Kudos
j_dubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We decided to make AD Groups and Computers as managed resources on the blueprint via the custom types.

Seems to be working for us where we precreate the computer object in AD and the VM joins on it's provision.

vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks cdoola11, what I could not find is how to add AD as endpoint for vRO. Do I need to add AD as endpoint for vRO? If yes, How Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cdoola11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_1.png

siglert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just FYI I quit using the AD plugin.  If you have a large Active Directory it tends to fail quit a bit.  Like it runs out of memory.  I had to basically re-write all the ad workflows to make them fault proof.

SeshuCharanG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you let me know the detailed steps please

0 Kudos