VMware Cloud Community
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actions on Machines vs Deployments

As a user of vRA6 the addition of Deployments is taking some getting used to.  Just wanted to post my results running actions on machines and how that affects their deployment.  Things seem to change when there's more than one VM in a deployment as well.  I'm curious if this is the norm. 

Single VM in deployment

• Running the "Change Lease" action on a machine also changes the lease on the deployment

• Running the "Expire" action on a machine also expires the deployment

• Running the "Destroy" action on a machine appears to destroy the VM and the deployment but leaves the software components in an orphaned state in their own "software components" section.  Haven't figured out a way to remove these yet... there's no actions available to run on them. 

Multiple VMs in deployment

• Actions like the ones above are not available to run
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, those observations are consistent with the behavior today. The reason is simple:  A deployment is a cohesive, bound collection of entities which function as a whole. If you wish that not to be the case when deploying just simple vSphere machines, restrict the ability to deploy instances of the machine and instead deploy instances of a deployment. As for the software component being orphaned, this usually happens when you have a script in the Uninstall lifecycle phase and it fails when running. I would call it a bug when it lingers, but maybe it's considered a "feature". In any case, the only way I know to remove it is to dig into the postgres database. I've noticed that they are automatically purged after some time, although I don't know what interval that is.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, those observations are consistent with the behavior today. The reason is simple:  A deployment is a cohesive, bound collection of entities which function as a whole. If you wish that not to be the case when deploying just simple vSphere machines, restrict the ability to deploy instances of the machine and instead deploy instances of a deployment. As for the software component being orphaned, this usually happens when you have a script in the Uninstall lifecycle phase and it fails when running. I would call it a bug when it lingers, but maybe it's considered a "feature". In any case, the only way I know to remove it is to dig into the postgres database. I've noticed that they are automatically purged after some time, although I don't know what interval that is.

0 Kudos