VMware Cloud Community
RockyHsu
Contributor
Contributor

About AD Container import

Hi Everyone,

Does vCAC support Chinese character OU in vCAC's Provisioning Group AD container?

Reguards,

Rocky

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The active directory container should support chinese characters, generally speaking there are certain fields which do not support chinese character input or installation on foreign language operating systems (so you'd have to try each individually to be sure).  I'm pretty sure support for all fields is targeted for the next release.

0 Kudos
RockyHsu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks you,

I have another question that when I try to provision VM,and  put the domain container like" dc=live,dc=com,ou=test",and join domain successful

It always puts the VM in the default path "Computers OU",not in the "test OU".Do you konw why ??

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you doing a clone or a "bare metal" provisioning using our guest agent?  If you're cloning from a template, the proper methodology is to use a customization specification and set it on our blueprint.  The provisioning group would then be ignored.  This isn't ideal for every case, but vSphere customization tends to override the provisioning group setting so this is by design.

0 Kudos
him_ng
Contributor
Contributor

Will it work if integrated with vCD ?

We also looking for a solution to join the a specific AD OU.

Could you advise a little bit more.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The following settings are fromt the "what's new in 5.1 guide".  I am not sure if customization of the OU placement is available through the vCD API, rather it uses a guest script execution.  I suppose vCAC could be setup to provide this script value to vCD but I'm pretty sure it's in implemented in this release.

This blog details how to accomplish the OU join from vCD side.

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/vcloud-director/vcloud-director-joining-vms-...

At this stage I don't think customization using the vCAC guest agent is possible yet either, so you would need to set up the OU from vCD side.  In future releases I believe etither interface with the vCD script or guest agent support will be available and you could set up a similar process in vCAC instead of vCD, but would be resulting in a similar post-deploy script executing on the guest.

For what it's worth here's the information for customizing domain only...

4. On the Properties tab, add the following custom properties (case sensitive):
Property
Value
Sysprep.Identification.DomainAdmin
The username of an administrator of the target domain in Active Directory. Do not include the user domain in the credentials that you send to vCloud Director.
Sysprep.Identification.DomainAdminPassword
The password for the user specified in Sysprep.Identification.DomainAdmin.
Sysprep.Identification.JoinDomain
The name of the domain in Active Directory to join.
5. Click OK.

0 Kudos