VMware Cloud Community
mastefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

8.x Disk naming and datastore placement

Just curious if other people have run into issues with the fact that vRA 8.x applies your naming convention to all the disks?  Specifically if I want to add a disk to a VM post deployment, the disk being added is named something way off from my VM and vRA puts it in it's own folder in the datastore instead of placing it in the VM folder.  Not sure if that's a full on bug, but it seems like a big miss.  We're going to end up with disks scattered all over our datastores.  Honestly would prefer if vRA didn't name the actual disks using your naming convention.    If you deploy a VM manually, when you add disks it's usually more in the convention of "VMname-0001, VMname-0002, etc"

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an old post but yes having the same issue right now trying to get 8.6.2 set up to replace 7.6. Cannot even use add disk in our lab because our service account does not have the permission to litter vCenter with all these random extra folders. 

How can we set the "store with virtual machine" option to do the same as it works in 7.6?

0 Kudos
ronaldod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any progress or solution to this issue ?

0 Kudos
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In 8.6.2 seeing a checkbox for "Use VM Folder" which I presume assists with this issue.

Can't speak to the naming as I still have permissions error and have not successfully been able to use Add Disk as of yet. Same service account with same vCenter permissions as using in 7.6 so needs to see if there are more\different permissions that 8 requires.

Planning on a custom action so end users cannot uncheck the 'Use VM Folder' option and to set the constraints for them as they will have no idea what that means nor the unit number and the encrypted/persistent options. 

ronaldod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still in 8.5.0 so need to wait till i can do the upgrade.

0 Kudos