VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

webex and zoom - just curious what everyone is doing for those .

Hi ,

We are instant clones / DEM and App Volumes .

I was just curious what everyone was doing for Zoom / Webex installs .

Our users do not have admin rights on their machines .

It seems like every time a user needs it for a meeting theres a new version .

Does doing a base install on the GI of these make sense ?

an Appstack ?

maybe Elevate the app in UEM / DEM ?

( we have some users with Writables.. and some Without - they have caused a large amount of issues for us . )

thanks .

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At this point we are pushing zoom in an appstack. As long as the application does not install in %APPDATA% of any other folder in the profile this shoudl do the trick. You do need to look for administrative installers of applications. Normally a software vendor will deliver those and give you the option to disable updates.

If you do have an applications that updates frequently I would suggest using appstacks for that, you are much quicker with updating an application in an appstack then in the Golden Image.

Is everyone uses the appliation and it needs to be there period you might wanna for installation in the GI. Depends on how clean you would like your GI to be.

pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use an app stack for Zoom, in this app stack we bundle WeEx, GoToMeeting, etc. I found it best to do it this way...loteasier to update an appstack than the ref image, especially if something 'breaks', detach the old app stack and reattach the previous.

We don't do much with DEM for any of these applications. There are DEM templates for most.

Pretty straightforward stuff, good luck!

0 Kudos