VMware Horizon Community
vcdnewbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade from V2.5 to V2.52

Greeting,

Just test in Lab, 2.5 was installed couple week ago, now try to upgrade to v2.5.2. how can I upgrade it?

if remove 2.5 then install 2.52 will have any impacts?

thank

9 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You must uninstall 2.5 first. If you wish to retain settings do not remove the db. On installation of 2.5.2 at the db section make you you select to NOT overwrite the db. Once done you should be good to go Smiley Wink

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One thing to keep in mind though. If you uninstall the AV manager it will reconfigure all active machines and remove any appstack or writable volume attached to that machine (yes, we found this out by doing it Smiley Happy)

vcdnewbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your information, do you mind give a screen shot about that import part?

by the way, is any real "Upgrade" way to do that?

thanks

0 Kudos
vcdnewbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your information, do you mind give a screen shot about that import part?

by the way, is any real "Upgrade" way to do that?

thanks

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ray very good point and thank you for bringing that up.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is another good reason why in any App Volumes deployment, the prescriptive requirement should never be less than TWO Managers.  It's just too easy to break the service when you only have one and the upgrade path is to uninstall/reinstall.  Even when not upgrading, if the single Manager can't communicate for whatever reason the user would see the "Virtualization is disabled" messages, and I'm sure you'd rather not react to those concerns.  Just make sure to update your Agent installs (reg key) with the FQDN of the second Manager (until you can load balance!).

Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Another great point. I'm just going to sit back and let your guys take this over now :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LOL, we earned that T-shirt didn't we Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Still. We are building a 2 manager setup (or even 4 depending on setup). Would AppVolumes Manager see that the other manager is still active and not change all the active machines? Haven't tested this yet. My guess would be that the only way to solve this is to use 2 seperate databases but then you would have a licensing issue. Jason, do you know this?? If you uninstall 1 of 2 manager, will all machines be reconfigured?

For the record, we will be using F5 as a load balancer in our production environment. I will let you guys know how that works out..

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ha, I'm working on my F5 config, too.  There's a document for it already that kind of helps (attached), but with all F5 docs, it assumes you're offloading SSL at the appliance, so take it with a grain of salt.  Easy enough to sort out, just refer to the VMware KB about modifying the reg key once the agent is installed to change from 80 to 443, and another key to enable sending traffic over SSL.