VMware Horizon Community
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

appstack in multiple datastores

Hi

I have 2 esxi clusters with no shared storage between them. Each esxi cluster has its own shared datastore.

In order to avoid creating and maintaining 2 App Volume manager instances with their own appstacks, I would like to create and configure 1 appstack in 1 App Volume Manager and store it in the datastore of each cluster.

Any thoughts if and how this can be achieved?

Jan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This can be achieved with a single App Volume Manager but you will need to replicate the AppStack to the second datastore. From the AVM set the storage to the second datastore and from the Volumes tab import Appstacks and you will now see both appstacks from both datastores. Assign both appstacks and when a user is on one cluster they will get the Appstack from the datastore in that cluster. Without shared storage you will not be able to get around not using 2 Appstacks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This can be achieved with a single App Volume Manager but you will need to replicate the AppStack to the second datastore. From the AVM set the storage to the second datastore and from the Volumes tab import Appstacks and you will now see both appstacks from both datastores. Assign both appstacks and when a user is on one cluster they will get the Appstack from the datastore in that cluster. Without shared storage you will not be able to get around not using 2 Appstacks.

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try this and let you know

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tested it and it works!

Although this is a good workaround, I think this is a shortcoming in Appvolumes. One still has to maintain duplicate appstacks and there is also the replication hassle.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the next release.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is and look at this as a temporary work around Smiley Wink

0 Kudos