VMware Horizon Community
gneville1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Writable volumes migration from vSAN to Traditional storage

Hi

I would like to know the steps involved in migration of writable volumes from vSAN to traditional storage.

Will a simple move to the destination storage work or is there some kind of conversion required as its in vSAN .

Please Advice

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey.

For as far as I know you can simply copy the files in the backend and do an import with the Appvolumes manager.

Depending on the amount of writables you could also use the move writable function within the 2.14 Appvolumes manager. Do keep in mind you can only move 15 writables at once.

If you add another storage to the VCenter server the Appvolumes manager connects to just go to Infrastructure -> Storages en click rescan. It will then see the newly added datastore and you can simply move writables there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey.

For as far as I know you can simply copy the files in the backend and do an import with the Appvolumes manager.

Depending on the amount of writables you could also use the move writable function within the 2.14 Appvolumes manager. Do keep in mind you can only move 15 writables at once.

If you add another storage to the VCenter server the Appvolumes manager connects to just go to Infrastructure -> Storages en click rescan. It will then see the newly added datastore and you can simply move writables there.

0 Kudos
gneville1985
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the response.I would like to know if we can import the same WV in to different App volumes manager(DC1 and DC2) But the access will be only from either of them.

I will try the copy of WV and will let you know how it goes.

Regards

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thats a feature in 2.14 I beleive

VMware App Volumes 2.14 Release Notes

You can share Writable Volumes across vCenters using Shared Datastores and the users can access their Writable Volumes from multiple vCenters with a Shared Datastore. In larger deployments, end user persistence is no longer pinned to a specific vCenter. A user can use their Writable Volume in one session, log out and log in to a session on another vCenter and continue to use their volume.

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For the record, if you use multiple VCenter servers but just 1 Appvolumes database it will indeed work because Appvolumes will keep track of usage of the writable volume.

Technically you can copy the writable from datastore A to datastore B and use 2 Appvolumes managers to connect this 1 writable. I would, however, not suggest that because of the simple fact that the writable can be attached only once (it is read/write) and locked, it could cause some funcky errors for the users trying to use it.

0 Kudos