VMware Horizon Community
TJensen12
Contributor
Contributor

Writable Volumes causing slowness

Hello,

We have a VDI system set up with a Dell EMC Hyper Converged system and has the current configurations: Vsphere 6.0, Horizon View 7.0.3, App Volumes 2.12.1, running Windows 10 Pro 1607. The linked clone pools we are using have 4 CPU's and 8GB of memory per machine. There are about 40 users currently on the system. We use AppStacks for application delivery and Writable Volumes with UIA + Profile for storing user data. The problem we are experiencing with almost all users is slowness with the system. Some users are experiencing initial login times of 10+ minutes with no AppStacks attached at the time we were testing. This only goes up slightly with AppStacks attached. Once the users are logged in, the system will usually run pretty well for a bit until it doesn't. The system will begin to lock up and become unusable. My guess is the Writable Volumes being the root cause of this because if a user does not have a Writable Volume, the login time is less than a minute. Do we need to update our system? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is becoming a real issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Strange, never heard of 10+ minutes delay for writable attachment. Could you quickly check the svservice.log please.

Suggest to upgrade App Volumes to the latest version (2.13.3) as there have been lot of improvements in login time since 2.13

0 Kudos
TJensen12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying. Do you know what particularly I should be looking for in the svservice.log? We are planning on upgrading to app volumes 2.13.3 that was just released. Do you know if it is compatible with Windows 10 1709? We are going to be updating the Horizon View to 7.4 as well which I've read is compatible with that version of Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Look for the timestamp where there is a big gap in time. If you can't find anything, post it here.

Windows 10 1709 is not supported in 2.13.3 as per the Install guide (Page 9): https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-App-Volumes/2.13.3/App-Volumes-Install-Guide-2-13-3.pdf 

0 Kudos