VMware Horizon Community
Prids
Contributor
Contributor

Writable Volumes Troubleshooting

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way of troubleshooting Writable volumes? I can delete the .vmdk files and let it create a new one but doesn't give an opportunity to see what's wrong. I got a couple of users saying that all custom settings disappeared, but I can see that file size and the status is attached.

I understand that writable volumes is not a profile management tool, but pinned items won't stay after a logoff. Did anyone else encounter this issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

Pinned items not being shows is because you need to add the following setting in the golden image when using agent 2.9. It has been stated by Jason on another forum post. It seems that no user settings are applied when not having this setting (the entire ntuser.dat in the profile doesn't sem to be applied).

reg.exe add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\svservice\parameters /t REG_DWORD /v VolDelayLoadTime /d 0 /f

There is a way to check the writable volume but i'd be very carefull with that because you could end up with a writable volume that no longer works anymore.

Just install a new Windows 7 machine without the AppVolumes agent and attach the writable volume to this machine. Give it a drive letter and you can actually browse the writable volume. 

And for the record. User profiles are still and will still be supported in version 2.X. I have yet to see what VMWare creates as a substitute for user profiles in writable volumes.

And last but not least. When creating the writable volume for a user, make sure to pick the UIA + Profile one.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Completely Agree with Ray. Here is a KB as well if you are looking for a possible reason for the same

VMware KB: Writable Volumes do not save some user profile settings in App Volumes 2.7.0 / 2.9.0

Regards

Gaurav Baghla

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos