VMware Horizon Community
nevgeo01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Writable Volumes DR Solution

Hi

I would like to know what are the DR options for writable volumes. We have replication enabled for the WV datastore.I would like to know rather than doing the import manually in the app manager is there any automated way of doing it.

Please Advice

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No there isn't. We are using 2 Windows NFS servers together with an NFS storage to replicate the disks from 1 storage to another.

How do you replicate it now? And how many time does it take to do this

I have seen release notes of VSPhere 6.5 and PowerCLI 6.5 that actually have the option copy the VMDK's (see info below). Anyone tested with it already? I also asked our storage vendor to have a look at it, hopefully they can help us with syncing the writables from A to B.

The good part is that you only need to copy the disk from your backup store to the production store, no need to change anything in the Appvolumes manager.

vSphere 6.5 introduces a new way to handle the management of virtual disks. Instead of managing a VM’s hard disks through the VM, they can now be managed independently with new PowerCLI cmdlets. This allows the handling of a virtual disk’s lifecycle to be decoupled from the lifecycle of a VM. This adds a ton of flexibility!

• Copy-VDisk
  • Get-VDisk
  • Move-VDisk
  • New-VDisk
  • Remove-VDisk
  • Set-VDisk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No there isn't. We are using 2 Windows NFS servers together with an NFS storage to replicate the disks from 1 storage to another.

How do you replicate it now? And how many time does it take to do this

I have seen release notes of VSPhere 6.5 and PowerCLI 6.5 that actually have the option copy the VMDK's (see info below). Anyone tested with it already? I also asked our storage vendor to have a look at it, hopefully they can help us with syncing the writables from A to B.

The good part is that you only need to copy the disk from your backup store to the production store, no need to change anything in the Appvolumes manager.

vSphere 6.5 introduces a new way to handle the management of virtual disks. Instead of managing a VM’s hard disks through the VM, they can now be managed independently with new PowerCLI cmdlets. This allows the handling of a virtual disk’s lifecycle to be decoupled from the lifecycle of a VM. This adds a ton of flexibility!

• Copy-VDisk
  • Get-VDisk
  • Move-VDisk
  • New-VDisk
  • Remove-VDisk
  • Set-VDisk

0 Kudos