VMware Horizon Community
jlanger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Writable Volume Templates - Differences?

Hoping some one can provide some insight on what the differences are (if any) and when to use the various Writable Volume templates? Below are my assumptions of the template types:

• template_uia_only - User Installed Apps
  • template_uia_plus profile - User Installed Apps + User Profile settings
  • template_profile_only - User Profile settings

Each template is configure as a 10GB Thin Provisioned VMDK and appear to contain the same files for each type. Is there an overall impact or requirements for using one template type over an other?

TIA,

-Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Regarding the documentation, your not the only one Smiley Happy I really hope we can get some more technical documentation..

What happens is that the Appvolumes filter driver sees what information is written in what place and because you use a pooled desktop (which revert back to it's base configuration) all changes are written automatically into the writable volume using a mount point..

Not all folders and registry settings are within the writable volume though, some information will be filtered out like temp files and stuff..

Do keep in mind to create a golden image with a user different than the one that receives a writable volume. Otherwise there will be a profile folder residing in the golden image that will also be the same as the one in the writable volume and this can cause stability issues.. And make sure to fully refresh the machine after being used.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey,

Your assumption is quite correct. The thing is what you actually would like to provide to your users I guess.

If you would like your users to be able to installl applications then go for either the UIA of UIA plus profile. Do keep in mind that a user needs to be administrator for this to work.

Also the Writable volumes are thin provisioned so providing a user with the possibility to install applications will mean thw writable volume will be larger in a shorter amount of time.

Performance wise I don't see much difference (tested it off course Smiley Happy)

I also though that it is possible to change the size of the templates meaning you could e.g. use a 2GB profile only writable volume which could safe out some space if this is the only thing you actually need.

jlanger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ray,

Thank you for the answer and clarification, I am finding the current App Volumes documentation a little light in some of these areas. 🙂

I haven't started testing Writable volumes in my lab yet, but I have a follow question. The UIA functionality seems to be pretty straight forward, but I want to use UIA + Profile is there any additional configuration work that needs to be completed to tell Windows to redirect the profile to the Writable volume? Does the App Volumes agent handle this interaction?

TIA,

-Jason

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Regarding the documentation, your not the only one Smiley Happy I really hope we can get some more technical documentation..

What happens is that the Appvolumes filter driver sees what information is written in what place and because you use a pooled desktop (which revert back to it's base configuration) all changes are written automatically into the writable volume using a mount point..

Not all folders and registry settings are within the writable volume though, some information will be filtered out like temp files and stuff..

Do keep in mind to create a golden image with a user different than the one that receives a writable volume. Otherwise there will be a profile folder residing in the golden image that will also be the same as the one in the writable volume and this can cause stability issues.. And make sure to fully refresh the machine after being used.

0 Kudos
jlanger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Most excellent and thanks for the quick responses Ray. This is exactly the infoformation I was looking for before tackling Writable volumes in my lab/next blog post.

-Jason

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Template_uia_only - User Installed Apps

Template_uia_plus profile - User Installed Apps + User Profile settings

Template_profile_only - User Profile settings

I would like to clarify.  Profile only is the users profile not just settings (My Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Favorites etc.)

This would be the most common form to make a non persistent VM feel persistent while not allowing users to keep custom applications. Users could still install to VM.

User Installed Applications could be used to capture things like printer drivers or programs when you don't want the users saving files to their profile.

User Installed Applications + Profile would be utilized for users that want or need to have a complete custom experience.