VMware Horizon Community
MrInfro
Contributor
Contributor

Windows terminal application in AppStack

Hello all,

I would like to ask for your experience regarding Windows terminal application https://github.com/microsoft/terminal in AppStack context.

What I am trying to do is to have pack of applications which includes WT and use AppVolumes to attach this pack to my vdi machine.

I have downloaded the pack and installed it, however the AppVolume client didnt capture it (am guessing since its just addon to Windows).

Anyone have any experience how to make this process work?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't believe you can deploy Windows Store apps with App Volumes. You need to grab the appx files from the Business Store  (https://businessstore.microsoft.com/) and install them onto the gold image itself. There might be other ways to do it, but since it's not an MSI installer I don't think App Volumes will even detect it

0 Kudos
hermanc01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too was having issues with this application, even with installing it on the gold image since we have the Windows Store completely disabled.

I was able to use this workaround which has been working out for us so far. I've only tested this on Windows 10 20H2 though.

• Download the latest version
  • Extract the msixbundle file (via 7-zip)
  • Within the extracted folder, extract CascadiaPackage_<version>_x64.msix (via 7-zip)
  • Rename/copy the extracted CascadiaPackage_<version>_x64 folder to where you'd like to store the application (i.e. C:\Program Files)
  • Create a shortcut for WindowsTerminal.exe and just run the application natively

You'll need to perform the same steps every time you want to run a newer version.

MrInfro
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, and thank you for the advice,

I have tried that and it worked... sort of.

I would have one question for you if I may.

When you did that this way you described, did you had a profile for PS7?

Thank you

0 Kudos