VMware Horizon Community
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Store apps & Writable App Volumes

We are in the process of setting up Writable App Volumes in a running environment using Windows 10 v1703 in VMWare Horizon 7 and UEM v9.2.0.

At this moment we are trying to setup this environment in a way that a user is able to download Windows Store apps and that those are placed on a Writable App Volume. Is this configuration possible at all and if so, can you please steer us in the right direction regarding configuration?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Okay here goes Smiley Happy.

Why would you like to enable Windows apps from the store into your writable volume? We are starting to look at W10 with store apps now because we would like to give our users some freedom. What we found out is that you need to enable Windows update and windows store (last one isn't that big of an issue) to get it to work.

Using a writable with Windows update is asking for disaster. We have decided to remove the option to the Windows store.

Which throws in the second issue Smiley Happy. When looking at the snapvol.cfg in the writable and the appstack i can see the following rules. For as far as I can see now the pplications from the store are installed in c:\Windows\WindowsApps, hence these are being excluded.

I am going to try to fiddle around with the snapvol.cfg for the appstack to see if I can get this to work. Love to experiment Smiley Happy Will report back on this option, no guarantees Smiley Happy

exclude_path=\Program Files\WindowsApps

exclude_path=%systemroot%\softwaredistribution

exclude_path=%systemroot%\systemapps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please refer the link for configuring writable lvolumes http://pubs.vmware.com/appvolumes-210/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.appvolumes.user.doc%2FGUID-BF446...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
SummaCollege
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, we are aware of the documentation and have setup the environment in the documented way. Unfortunately in our situation Windows Store Apps are not stored on the writable app volume.

We don't know in what direction we have to look for a solution...

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Okay here goes Smiley Happy.

Why would you like to enable Windows apps from the store into your writable volume? We are starting to look at W10 with store apps now because we would like to give our users some freedom. What we found out is that you need to enable Windows update and windows store (last one isn't that big of an issue) to get it to work.

Using a writable with Windows update is asking for disaster. We have decided to remove the option to the Windows store.

Which throws in the second issue Smiley Happy. When looking at the snapvol.cfg in the writable and the appstack i can see the following rules. For as far as I can see now the pplications from the store are installed in c:\Windows\WindowsApps, hence these are being excluded.

I am going to try to fiddle around with the snapvol.cfg for the appstack to see if I can get this to work. Love to experiment Smiley Happy Will report back on this option, no guarantees Smiley Happy

exclude_path=\Program Files\WindowsApps

exclude_path=%systemroot%\softwaredistribution

exclude_path=%systemroot%\systemapps

0 Kudos