VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 profiles and first login failures

I believe this is an App Volumes related issue, we are not having this problem with full clone VMs that do not have App Volumes enabled on them.  We are using the UIA + Profile template on all of our Windows 10 VMs, build 1607.  What is happening is when users log in for the first time, some will get the Windows 10 welcome screen and it never completely logs in.  In the Horizon console, their particular VM shows no username associated with it.  We have to do a "reset" on the VM, then the next time they log in (we use linked clones, so it will pick a different VM in the pool), it works and the problem never comes back.  I suspect this to be some sort of combination of Msft with AppVol Writable Volumes and the way windows initializes a new profile, but I have no idea what it would be.  This doesn't happen to every new user (which are set up identially), maybe about 20% of the time.

Anybody else having this issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Couple of follow up questions:

What version of app volumes are you running? Is the writable volume template updated to the same version?

Is the assignment for the writable volumes set to create the volume when first logging in or do you create them all up front?

First place to look would be at the server log of the app volume manager. You should see more details.

Location of VMware App Volumes log files (2091590) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Couple of follow up questions:

What version of app volumes are you running? Is the writable volume template updated to the same version?

Is the assignment for the writable volumes set to create the volume when first logging in or do you create them all up front?

First place to look would be at the server log of the app volume manager. You should see more details.

Location of VMware App Volumes log files (2091590) | VMware KB

Thanks for the reply.  We're on App Volumes 2.12 and yes, the template is fully updated.  Yes we are set to create the writable volume when the user first logs in.  We used to manually create the writables and had the issue then as well.

As far as I can tell App Volumes is working correctly, I think this is more of a Msft issue with AppVol, but I'm not entirely sure.  The user's writable does get created, and AppVol shows them logged in and their writable attached to the VM.  In fact that's the only easy way we can tell what VM the user is logging in to, as the Horizon Console shows an empty user for their VM.  Once we reset the VM (reboot), it detaches their writable.  The next time they log in, everything works and the issue never happens again for that user.

I can try to pull logs but normally when I do this there's a ton of entries to comb through and difficult to decipher what is actually wrong.

Thanks for your help so far.

0 Kudos