VMware Horizon Community
Brog
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Start Menu fails to open

After installing the AppVolumes agent and using UIA + Profile, we are unable to open the start menu (to open applications or anything), including search.   AV 2.10 and View 6.2.   Windows 10 on View w/o AppVolumes has no issues with start menu or search

31 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same happens to me, but only sometimes. Anyway when the menu opens, it will find no applications. Disabling writable volumes and just using appstacks doesn't show same issues

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok, SR 15822368312 opened!

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This is a issue we also did see with UEM and capturing a specific registry key on Windows 10.

Can you please try to exclude the reg key HKCU\Software\Classes in the template of the writable appstack

Thanks,

Ray

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you mean by adding

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\USER\Software\Classes

in snapvolcfg?

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, please

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm currently getting the same issue. Seems the Start Menu and IE icon on the taskbar fail to open.  It also takes 2 or 3 minutes to login with an AppVol assigned/attached.

I saw that you noted to make a reg config change on the writable AppStack.  In my enviroment, we currently are not using Writable AppStacks.

System Layout:

View 6.2

AppVol 2.10

Windows 10 Linked Clones w/ Persistent Disks

ESXI 5.5u3 (3116895)

Chris

0 Kudos
Brog
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the above exclusion, but it didn't fix the issue.  I still see the same behavior.

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey sappomannozsappomannoz!

I see you opened a SR. Any progress made?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello CPhelix

done some tests for support.

The menu works in my tests, although I had also the issue at the beginning. Now I have issues only with searching in the menu when I'm using a writable volume

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update sappomannoz!

From the tests i have done. I have learned to get a single virtual Desktop to work by

1) Reboot Desktop

2) Login to desktop with no AppVols attached (Start Menu & search Works)

3) Log out and assign AppVols to attach at login

4) Login with AppVols attached (Start Menu & search Works)

If i restart or recompose the desktop and login with the AppVols assigned to attach at login the start menu & search don't work.

Obviously not a true fix but the way i have gotten it to work for my individual desktop.

---SideNote: We don't use writable Vols---

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Mang0steen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone

We have also the same issue but after 20 seconds the start menu opens.

We just had a lot of problems with the windows apps. If the appstack was attached with the logon process, some of the Windows apps were missing!

Our solution was the registry key VolDelayLoadTime, we set it to 5 seconds. This is the time required after logon process to delay volumes attachments.

0 Kudos
Mang0steen
Contributor
Contributor

We think we solved our problem with the Windows 10 start menu failing to open.

We first set the Registry Key "VolDelayLoadTime" to 5 seconds. As described above, we could open the start menu after 20 seconds.

Now we set the "VolDelayLoadTime" to 10 seconds. The start menu works fine at the moment. We are still testing though.

0 Kudos
Brog
Contributor
Contributor

The delay didn't help in my case.   Actually with the delay, my Office 2013 installs broke when using UIA only... blank icons and broken activation.

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So i applied the "VolDelayLoadTime" Reg key with 5 seconds set. The start menu now opens at login but the search bar still doesn't respond and when i click the IE Edge Pin I get a error prompt   "This App Can't Open" " Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the Built-In Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

I'm logged in with a domain account and the desktop is apart of the domain.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you check the Appvolumes svservice log file could it be that, even though your logged in, that the start menu is still building up, meaning that appstacks are still being processed under water?

0 Kudos
BungeBash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

None of these fixes worked.  It's inconsistent, but usually once my start button is broken it stays broken for each following log on.

I've tried the exclusion on the VHD template.  I've tried the 0/5/10 settings for Vol delay.  I have changed the default start menu to remove the Windows 10 apps (edge/skype/etc).  I've excluded and added to Persona the TileDataLayer folder from %AppData%\Local\.  Nothing seems to resolve the start button issue except not mounting an app volume. 

0 Kudos
WLesler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am experiencing the same issue, did VMware have a resolution to this?

0 Kudos
cjabates
Contributor
Contributor

sappomannoz, have you gotten any response on that SR?

I'm also having this issue on one of my two installations, which makes no sense to me.

My environment:

server-side:

ESXi 6.0 build 3568940

Horizon 7.0

AppVol 2.10

image/VDI side:

Win10

Agent 6.2.1 (Agent 7.0 doesn't work with smartcards & zero clients- we've got a case open on that)

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌Hullo,

my Sr is still open. A workaround for search to work, is to give administrator rights to the logged in user. I'm waiting for 2.11 like everyone else  

0 Kudos